skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: How do you make the black fondant?
Created On Saturday October 31, 2009 3:03 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

czymom
Posted: Saturday October 31, 2009 3:03 PM

Do you just use the black food coloring? Or do you buy it from somewhere already black? I plan on making the MMF.
If this is a deal where it has to be chocolate fondant, how is that made using the MMF recipe?

Thanks for any help.

Report Violation

Bottom

Giny
Posted: Saturday October 31, 2009 4:42 PM

I added brown to my fondant first and then added the black. I used the Wilton colors from Michaels. I covered a board with my own mm fondant and the black seemed to be not as smooth as the white cutouts I put in it. I think so much of the coloring must dry it out or something. It took quite a bit to make it black. Hope this helps.

Report Violation

Bottom

lovegrace
Posted: Saturday October 31, 2009 5:11 PM

I just replace about 1/2C. of powdered sugar with 1/2C. cocoa powder. Then add black. Easy peasy and tastes like a tootsie roll!

Report Violation

Bottom

Carpentergirl
Posted: Saturday October 31, 2009 5:17 PM

you skip all the headache and order Satin Ice in black..........lol Global Sugar Art.com :-) IT's the only color I will not make!

Report Violation

Bottom

czymom
Posted: Saturday October 31, 2009 5:26 PM

I love the idea of just buying it.
However, I am just needing a small batch to use for decorations on a BC iced cake. Also, this is my very first try and I just want to make some cutouts and just decided this tonight....so no time to wait for delivery!

Thanks for the info, I am going to do the cocoa powder method.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Saturday October 31, 2009 6:36 PM

Yes.....I agree the cocoa powder is the way to go with the MMF. Then add the black food coloring and knead away!!!

I would highly recommend making this up the day before you actually need to use it. Red & black will deepen overnight. Use a small amount of Crisco and rub on the dough ball. Place it in a ziploc baggy with the air squished out of it and then set it on the countertop out of direct heat.

Report Violation

Bottom

Memphismom
Posted: Sunday November 01, 2009 12:40 AM

If you need just a very small amount, Wilton makes a little box with four colors of fondant. The one with black fondant in the box also has some tan/beige/peach (I think) in the box. They are wrapped individually in foil.

Report Violation

Bottom

hpjmom
Posted: Sunday November 01, 2009 9:31 PM

For future cakes, order it. I order Satin Ice Red & Black & keep them onhand. I think the shelf-life is like a year, so I order 2 pounds at a time & order more when I get low. I've made black mmf from chocolate mmf & it's just a pain. Americolors Super Black & Super Red are also the way to go for those colors. You use less coloring & don't get an aftertaste.

Report Violation

Bottom

riverchild
Posted: Monday November 02, 2009 6:01 AM

I love the black Satin Ice also. It's very easy to use. I plan on ordering the red also just to have on hand. Since those two colors are harder to achieve than others, it's just easier for me to order those.

Report Violation

Bottom

lisamr81
Posted: Friday January 28, 2011 1:48 PM

I use this recipe from Cake Central
True Black MMF
Ingredients

* 6 oz. of semi sweet chocolate chips (about half of a bag)
1 bag of mini marshmallows
3 tbsp. of clear Karo syrup
3 tbsp. water
1 1lb. bag of powdered sugar
gel black food coloring
Crisco

Instructions

1. Put your marshmallows in a microwave safe bowl, add the water, and microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir mixture, and microwave for another minute. When marshmallows come out they will be HOT, stir again, scraping the sides with a scraper. Immerdiately add your chocolate chips, and stir until the chips are completely melted. Add your karo syrup and stir again this time with a butter knife, making sure that all of your syrup is incorporated. Add a good amount of black gel food coloring, and stir again with your knife, making sure that you scrape around the edges. Once your mixture is the blackest black that you can get, (I added about 1-2 tsp. of the gel coloring) then add about half of your bag of powdered sugar, and stir until the mixture is thick, with your knife. Grease your hands liberally with Crisco and add the rest of the powdered sugar* to the bowl. Knead your fondant until all of the powdered sugar is gone. Store for up to a month wrapped in plastic wrap, sealed in a gallon Ziploc, and stored in an airtight container.
3. *Depending on the humidity in your area it might take a little more powdered sugar, or even a little less to get the consistancy of fondant.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: