skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: SIDE SPRINKLES
fastpitchqt 10/26/2009 11:27 PM
So I did see 1 other post covering side sprinkles/toppings. My question is, Im kind of nervous to lift up and turn my cake to put on sprinkles with multiple layers, is there any easier way to cover the sides of my cakes with a topping??
Jeanne G 10/26/2009 11:40 PM
I think that is really a hard task! For a very small sturdy round cake on a same-size cakeboard you can pick it up (with just the sides frosted) and roll it in the sprinkles or nuts etc spread on waxed paper. I don't know about you, but that never seems to be the kind of cake I want to cover.

Be prepared to use a LOT of the topping item. Make sure that your frosting has not crusted yet and hold the cake over a bowl or brownie pan to catch the overflow. Tilt the cake slightly and pour handfuls over the side, turn a little, tilt again, pour more over that area. You can reuse the overflow from the bowl as you go, but you will still have a lot of waste (in my limited experience).

If you manage to master this art, do post a picture in the Life Celebrations forum (or Seasonal, if appropriate).
dlcurry 10/27/2009 4:02 AM
I agree with Jeanne. Very rarely, I use broken pieces of chocolate to cover the sides...but typically, I just create decorator lines with my triangle. When covering the sides with nuts or sprinkles, my floor usually ends up with most of it.
Peachygirl1 10/27/2009 8:20 AM
LOL dlcurry.... ditto for me.
chickenhawk 11/04/2009 9:09 PM
This is how I cover the sides of my cakes when needed:
I set my turntable on a cookie sheet, Place the cake on the turntable, put my topping/sprinkles on the cookie sheet, then just grab handfuls of the topping/sprinkles and gently press them into the sides of my cake turning the cake and applying the topping/sprinkles all the way around. Always press from the bottom and work upwards so you don't pull the icing toward the bottom of the cake.
Hope this helps
j_arney 11/05/2009 3:03 PM
I remember trying this when I was young. It was a maple pecan cake with pecan pieces on the sides. I iced it heavily, then laid the chopped pecans on a piece of wax paper. I had A LOT of pecan pieces. I held the cake by the bottom and top (not iced), and set the cake on the pecan pieces. Because there were so many, the icing didn't stick to the wax paper. I just kept going around until the whole cake was covered. That's the method mentioned in the recipe. Worked pretty well!!
fastpitchqt 11/05/2009 4:25 PM
my biggest concern is I usually do multiple layer cakes...Im afraid to pick it up because the layers might fall apart.