skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: How to make cupcake flat
oscarchelsea 10/16/2009 11:32 AM
Hi, any idea how to make the cupcake top flat for decoration? Thanks!
Chasey 10/16/2009 12:07 PM
A couple of things come to mind. When I use Duncan Hines cake mix and substitute applesauce for the oil, I get a nice flat top, no dome.

If you bake from scratch, perhaps a weight applied (covered ceramic tile/trivet) when fresh out of the oven will flatten the dome for you?

If you are using oversized cupcake pans, could you level the tops by cutting them down a little?

I'll be checking back here for other ideas.
Jeanne G 10/16/2009 12:15 PM
That is kind of a sad question. Cupcakes' goal in life is to rise to a nice slightly rounded top, and here we are trying to figure out how to stop them from doing that. Oh well, art requires sacrifices.

Using slightly less batter in each and reducing the oven temperature should help. Experiment with a sample batch to make sure that your attempts to thwart the rising don't adversely effect their quality.
pennyjoshua 10/16/2009 12:51 PM
Hi, I did a 7 tier cupcake tower a couple of weeks ago. The chocolate cupcakes all baked with perfect flat tops and the plain ones had a raised dome in the centre. I just sliced the raised dome off (my kids ate) before decorating with the 1M tip. They were exactly the same recipe other than 2 tablespoon of flour replaced with 2 tablespoon of coco powder - any ideas why this stops the dome would be interesting.
Penny
sweetgrandma 10/16/2009 1:07 PM
I put less batter ...only fill about half full...and the cupcakes are flat on top and right to the top of the paper.
maria46 10/16/2009 8:30 PM
Whenever I bake cupcakes (24) I have to put one pan of 12 on the top rack in my oven and the other underneath it. the ones on the bottom ALWAYS come out flat (no matter how much batter). So for me I guess it's just having a pan above the pan that you want to be flat? Hope this helps.
oscarchelsea 10/16/2009 8:53 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I thought it's the recipe that makes the difference. Unfortunately my oven only has 1 rack. Maybe I will try to use less batter as suggested. Thanks all of you.
baura_l 10/17/2009 11:07 AM
This may not be so acceptable for some but if all else fails and the little cuppers are still doming press em down while hot with some paper towel. They may become a bit more dense but would that be SO bad? just dont crush the cupcake
Chasey 10/19/2009 10:36 AM
I think you are onto something with the bottom rack suggestion. I had 2 pans of cupcakes side by side on the bottom and a 7 inch layer on a cookie sheet on the top. I had so much batter that I filled all of the cups/pans to 3/4 or more full.

The top rack cake had a huge dome on it (in an oval pan) and every single cupcake on the bottom rack rose only to the top of the liner and all were flat tops.

Interesting.
Jeanne G 10/19/2009 10:41 AM
Interesting. Sounds like it is not so much the position in the oven as it is having something above them to block the full circulation of heat. Hmmm .... maybe. So putting an empty cookie sheet on a rack above the cupcakes might be worth a try.

If anybody experiments, let us know the results! Inquiring minds want to know!
pennyjoshua 10/19/2009 10:59 AM
I agree with this totally, when I made 100 cupcakes the other wee the bottom shelf ones were perfect
and the top shelf cakes I sliced the tops off. I will be making more at the weekend so I will just do one
tray at a time and place them on the lower shelf with my sheet pan above. Will report results in due course, Penny
Julia Smiley 08/02/2013 4:19 PM
I followed this free tutorial and I get perfect flat-topped vanilla cupcakes every time: www.prettywittycakes.co.uk/video-tutorials/how-bake-flat-topped-vanilla-cupcakes

Suzi teaches a great chocolate cupcake recipe too, but you have to subscribe to see it. They're really high quality videos, and they've started doing whole cake projects as well as cupcake, piping, modelling, etc videos.
gmoakes01 08/02/2013 5:57 PM
Hi Julia,
Welcome! I didn't check out the link you posted, hope it helps someone. I was just about to post a link for a picture I saw on Facebook when I realized this post was originally started in 2009. Hopefully the original poster found the information she needed
Gisele
Grammyto5 08/12/2013 2:26 PM
I just trim the bump off when icing a cupcake or making a cupcake cake.