skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: domino powdered sugar at dollar store
Created On Wednesday October 14, 2009 9:43 AM
Topic View:

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format

j rabbit
Posted: Wednesday October 14, 2009 9:43 AM

While I was looking around in the dollar store, I ran across domino powdered sugar. There's no expiration date on the boxes. I checked mine at home and they do not have a date either. Do you think it is safe to buy the sugar from dollar store? What is shelf life of powered sugar?

Report Violation

Bottom

ladycatisadiva
Posted: Wednesday October 14, 2009 9:51 AM
View users profile

mmmmm not sure, but I would think it would last for a long time......now I have tasted some before not mine, but it tasted old. I don't keep mine long enough for that to happen. Maybe you should try sending domino an email and let us know.......that is if no one else knows.

Most of the people on this site probably use it as fast as they buy it. You could buy all that you need or want, try one box if it does not taste good then you can take it back. One other thing, the one that comes in the box, although the box is sealed, the liner that they use in the box does not seem to be the freshest way to package that. It's been that way as long as I can remember, but it's worth a try.

How much is it at the dollar store?

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Wednesday October 14, 2009 9:57 AM

also...check to be sure it's made/packaged in the USA. There was an article about some things for sale @ dollar stores that even tho they had the right brand name were actually made in China and weren't safe.
One item was kids toothpaste and I'd bought a tube of it for my grandson. When I checked it ..sure enough..it was made in China.

If it's made here and is fresh and it only costs $l.00 I'd say you got a bargain!

Report Violation

Bottom

j rabbit
Posted: Wednesday October 14, 2009 10:01 AM

Thanks ladycatisadiva. My sugar don't stay around for long either. The sugar is $1 per box at the dollar store. Its $1.69 in the supermarket. I will be starting Wilton Course II next week(my last course)...I can use it for class if nothing else.

Report Violation

Bottom

j rabbit
Posted: Wednesday October 14, 2009 10:06 AM

sweetgrandma, your reply is the reason I'm afraid to but food items from the dollar store. I'm afraid the items are not as fresh or safe as buying from a supermarket or Walmart. I will be checking for the USA name on the boxes.

Report Violation

Bottom

binkbink
Posted: Wednesday October 14, 2009 10:09 AM

I was curious about this post, because I have been to 2 dollar stores and for some reason they try to sell items with expired dates on them. I always check the dates on any items I buy from there, but as stated here the dominos sugar doesn't have a date. Like most of you though my PS doesn't stay around that long and I buy as I need it. Anyway I shot Dominos an email just to get there thoughts, will share if they email back.

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Wednesday October 14, 2009 10:23 AM

I don't buy food in the dollar stores.

I don't buy powdered sugar that isn't sealed in plastic bags.

Report Violation

Bottom

ladycatisadiva
Posted: Wednesday October 14, 2009 10:27 AM
View users profile

dido Jeanne......

Report Violation

Bottom

vthorse
Posted: Wednesday October 14, 2009 12:42 PM

I just checked my powdered sugar I buy at the Dollar General.
It's called Crystal Sugar, 100% made in the USA, distributed by United Sugars Corp, Minneapolis, MN.
And it's in plastic bags. I agree about the bag part.

Report Violation

Bottom

N8sMom96
Posted: Wednesday October 14, 2009 8:51 PM

The only box dominos I have seen are 1lb size. $1.69 for that is pricey. The local Wal-mart here in Ohio has it for $.92 a box and $1.88 (or something like that) for a 2 lb bag. I checked my boxes that I just bought for this weeks cakes, and they don't have a date either. The boxed dominos are sealed in plastic then placed inside the box, well at least the ones I have bought.

Do what Sweetgrandma says and check where it's made. I have bought many things from the dollar store that have turned out just fine. You just have to be diligent and read the packages.

Report Violation

Bottom

karen
Posted: Thursday October 15, 2009 6:25 PM

I wouldn't trust the dollar stores for food items. I just had a problem with 2 boxes of Domino Conf. Sugar from the supermarker.
When I opened them, both bags were split and the sugar had spilled into the box. I contacted Domino yesterday and they are working on getting me out coupons to replace the damanged boxes. I would rather let the manufacturer know so that they can correct their problems. Yes, it is easier to return it to the store but..having worked in the manufacturer industry, it is important that these companies stay on top of their QC Departments. Since I couldn't even read the stamp on the bottom, I have returned the end flaps to Domino, so they can track down and find out what plant packed these. The price of sugar is going thru the roof. Hard on us bakers!!!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

j rabbit
Posted: Thursday October 15, 2009 10:27 PM

Thanks for all of your posts. I emailed my concerns to Dominos and I am waiting for a response. I will use the sugar from the dollar store for the class frosting since it is only for practice. Anything that will be eaten I rather pay a little more money and hopefully have everyone safe.

Report Violation

Bottom

j rabbit
Posted: Monday October 19, 2009 5:12 PM

I received a reply from Domino's about the shelf life of their products. Here is part of their reply:

"The shelf life of all Domino Sugar products, if properly stored, is indefinite. To retain highest quality, the product should be stored under proper conditions. Sugar does not "spoil" but is susceptible to hardening and lumping over long-term storage. Therefore, none of our packages have any expiration dates. "

I am happy to report that one of my local supermarkets have Domino powdered and brown sugar on sale this week for a $1. I still fell better buying it from there than the dollar store.

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Monday October 19, 2009 5:14 PM

thanks for the information jrabbit...that's good to know for future reference.

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Monday October 19, 2009 5:49 PM

j rabbit, Is that a one or two pound package for $1?

Report Violation

Bottom

j rabbit
Posted: Monday October 19, 2009 8:38 PM

1 lb box. I wish I could find 2 lb for a dollar at the supermarket.

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Monday October 19, 2009 9:03 PM

I bought powdered sugar, regular price, at Target last night. $1.69 for a 2 pound bag. I can get powdered sugar any time at Cosco in 7 pound bags for just under $.60/ pound, if I didn't mind measuring and sifting it. But I do mind, and I gladly pay the extra per-pound to get it in quantities I can use as-is.

A dollar a pound doesn't temp me at all. Isn't it odd how different the prices of staples run in different markets?

Report Violation

Bottom

3yearoldmom
Posted: Monday October 19, 2009 11:53 PM

I had bought a 2lb powdered sugar in gerbes (kroger)last week for $1.

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Monday October 19, 2009 11:57 PM

I hope you stocked up!

Report Violation

Bottom

myna102
Posted: Tuesday October 20, 2009 11:34 AM

2 lb bag for one dollar, might have been mismarked, boy i would have stocked up, probably would have taken it all, i don't but food or anything you eat or put in your mouth from a dollar store, they've even said family dollar, they say something like toothpaste has a ton a floride in it. from a grocery store or any store, i never use margarine, i read an article on what was in it, even plastic products yuk

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: