skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: CHOCOLATE ALMOND BARK ????
Created On Friday October 09, 2009 4:06 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

suzicrawford
Posted: Friday October 09, 2009 4:06 PM

HAS ANYONE DONE AND KNOW THAT IT WILL WORK: ADDING BLACK FOOD COLORING TO CHOCOLATE ALMOND BARK TO MAKE IT BLACK QUICKER THAN THE VANILLA ALMOND BARK? I KNOW IT IS EASIER TO DO THE BC FROSTING BLACK IN CHOCOLATE FLAVORED BC. THANKS FOR YALLS HELP!! SUZI

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Friday October 09, 2009 4:10 PM

Please don't shout. We'll help you as soon as we can. (Turn off your caps lock!)

Yes, it is easier to get black starting from chocoalte, whether you are coloring frosting or fondant or confectionery coating.

Be sure that you are using an oil-based or powdered coloring agent. Water-based colors may ruin the candy.

The easiest way of all to get black is just to buy black Candy Melts, if you have access to a store that sells Wilton products. This is the only time of the year they are available, so you are in luck if you can get them.

Report Violation

Bottom

suzicrawford
Posted: Friday October 09, 2009 4:19 PM

Better? lol. Thanks for the quick response. I was trying to avoid going to the store today. I have seen those color melts at Walmart in the Halloween section. They put them on clearance the day after halloween. Can they be frozen and used through out the year since this is the only time you can find them? Thanks again for all your help. P.S. I use the Wilton Candy colorings do those do good for this? Thanks again. Suzi

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Friday October 09, 2009 6:24 PM

Yes, the Wilton candy coloring is fine.

Don't freeze the Candy Melts. But they have a shelf life of about 18 months so I buy what I expect to use throughout the year and just keep them away from light and heat sources.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Friday October 09, 2009 8:24 PM

I do just like Jeanne does.

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Friday October 09, 2009 9:44 PM

Freezing the wafers will cause them to blooms. Just keep in a cool, dry place.

Report Violation

Bottom

cpeffer
Posted: Saturday October 10, 2009 6:25 PM

what are candy melts used for and are they costly?

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Saturday October 10, 2009 6:32 PM

Candy Melts are Wilton's easy-to-use confectionery coating ("almond bark" or "summer chocolate"). They can be used for molding, piping, making candy clay, chocolate flow transfers -- anything you'd use melted chocolate for.

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E310A5F-475A-BAC0-513EBB4AAC195A7E&fid=3E32DFEA-475A-BAC0-51B68534387FF8B9

They go on sale often at the craft stores or coupons can be used at those stores. But even full price they are reasonably priced.

Report Violation

Bottom

cpeffer
Posted: Sunday October 11, 2009 4:44 PM

Thank you for the information Jeanne there is so much to learn.

Report Violation

Bottom

myersark
Posted: Monday October 12, 2009 10:15 AM

In addition to melting the candy melts/wafers to pour into chocolate molds, I also have used it for frosting on cakes and cookies. It comes in lots and lots of colors.

You can color it with food coloring to make any color imaginable, too.

I've got a couple of melters that you plug in. They have little removable pots that sit in the heating area, and can be removed for pouring the melted chocolate. I found the best price for those on eBay. I've also got a plug-in unit that has 10 little metal containers on it (each holds about 3 or 4 wafers) that I use for my custom colors. I'll melt them in it, add food coloring, and use a paint brush for small details. When finished, I unplug the unit, let it cool, and put the little caps on the containers to save until next time. Handy little gadget!

I also will put the melts into a microwave safe glass bowl, measuring cup, etc., and melt them at 60% power for 30-seconds at a time. Stir between nuking, and keep doing this until they are nice and melted. (But don't over do it!) I usually put 1/4 to 1/2 bag at a time. (Bags are usually 12 oz. to a lb. each)

Report Violation

Bottom

Ginger9708
Posted: Monday October 12, 2009 10:18 AM

what is the almond bark? is that a chocolate bar with almonds in it and what brand do you recommend?

Report Violation

Bottom

suzicrawford
Posted: Monday October 12, 2009 10:59 AM

Almond Bark is like a big big piece of chocolate candy lol. It has squares that you can break and melt part of it at a time. It is alot like the candy melts but alot cheaper if you are doing alot at a time. I get mine at Walmart around the cake isle close to the nuts and cocoa powder and the chocolate chips etc. I also use the vanilla flavored almond bark to use with the coloring and flavorings and it has worked really well so far. Suzi

Report Violation

Bottom

suzicrawford
Posted: Monday October 12, 2009 11:01 AM

myersark,
What is the name of the warmer with the ten small bowls? That sounds like it would be awesome to use on big projects. Did you also get it on ebay? Thanks Suzi

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: