skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: making orange icing
shortycakes 10/08/2009 12:21 AM
Hi I don't have the "orange" gel colour but am trying to make orange. A pumpkin orange to be exact. I have no taste red and christmas red. For yellow I have golden yellow and lemon yellow. Does anyone have any suggestions on which of these combinations would give me that bright orange I am looking for? Also to get a brighter colour should the ratio be 1:1 or more of red or yellow? Thanks.
baura_l 10/08/2009 12:59 AM
Well.. if you have "creamy peach" it makes an orange if you add enough to white icing this happened to me once.. if your red is really concentrated you would need Less then yellow. If you have orange extract add that to kick start your colour!
MARIE J 10/08/2009 5:21 AM
Iwould try the no taste & lemon yellow see how that turns out

More yellow than red play with the colors until you get what you like
mmumsie 10/08/2009 11:39 AM
No taste red and lemon yellow, equal parts. BC will darken over time. So wait in between adding more coloring.
vanilla sugar 10/10/2009 11:35 PM
I made orange today and I needed a LOT of lemon yellow. (I was using Whipped Cream Buttercream). I also used a little Christmas red. I would say do a sample with a tablespoon of icing in a separate container. No-taste red is supposed to be slighlty on the orange side while Christmas red is on the violet side, I think. I would try combos of each in tablespoon incremants. Good luck!
Vanilla Sugar