skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: How Much Tylo Powder do I add to MMF to make bows
pennyjoshua 10/07/2009 1:15 PM
Hi, I apologise in advance for the question as I know there has been hundreds of posts about bows!
I have searched through but cannot find how much Tylo to add to MMF. Last time I attempted to make bows I used fondant and gum tex but they were terrible. As I'm having much more success with the MMF I thought I would try the bows again as I think they look beautiful. I do remember Bunnywoman posting that she added Tylo powder to her MMF (unless I dreamt it) so I bought some yesterday to have another practice. Thank you in advance for any replies Penny
hpjmom 10/07/2009 3:09 PM
The Wilton book says to add 1/2 tsp to 4 oz of fondant to make bows. If you are making the large batch, & want to make the whole batch "gumpaste", I'd add 2 tsp. of tylose. I've used these measurements (1/2 tsp./4 oz fondant) with success.

FYI--I made the attached cake with mmf & did not use tylose or gum-tex at all. I just made the bow loops about 1/8" thick & made them several days in advance. I also made the mmf a little stiffer than usual, by adding a little more sugar than I normally do. Just a thought!
Attachments:
MARIE J 10/07/2009 3:23 PM
I'm with hpjmom on this one
sweetgrandma 10/07/2009 3:55 PM
hpmom....love the cake!!

thanks for the advice...I'm going to try to make a bow out of mmf.
pennyjoshua 10/07/2009 4:05 PM
Thank you, I shall follow your guide and give it another go. Your bows look beautiful that is exactly
how I want to do my cake with a top central bow, thank you for sharing
alehaddad 10/07/2009 5:38 PM
I do use 1/2 spoon of Tylo, but my teacher told me to make the fondant with the tylo in advance. That I have to let the tylo work for 12 hours in advance.
Hope it works this info to you.
hpjmom 10/07/2009 6:55 PM
alehaddad--That would make sense. It doesn't say to do that in the Wilton Celebrate with Fondant book, but I know that when I make Gum Paste, you have to let that set up overnight.
alehaddad 10/07/2009 7:27 PM
Try it... And see if it works for you.. I do make a lot a bows and I live in a very humid place and thats my secret... Also wish and pray it doesnt rain and if it does close the entire house to keep up working LOL
mmumsie 10/07/2009 9:58 PM
Penny, I have a recipe to make gum paste using Tylose powder. You know where to find me!