skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: How Much Tylo Powder do I add to MMF to make bows
Created On Wednesday October 07, 2009 1:15 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

pennyjoshua
Posted: Wednesday October 07, 2009 1:15 PM

Hi, I apologise in advance for the question as I know there has been hundreds of posts about bows!
I have searched through but cannot find how much Tylo to add to MMF. Last time I attempted to make bows I used fondant and gum tex but they were terrible. As I'm having much more success with the MMF I thought I would try the bows again as I think they look beautiful. I do remember Bunnywoman posting that she added Tylo powder to her MMF (unless I dreamt it) so I bought some yesterday to have another practice. Thank you in advance for any replies Penny

Report Violation

Bottom

hpjmom
Posted: Wednesday October 07, 2009 3:09 PM

The Wilton book says to add 1/2 tsp to 4 oz of fondant to make bows. If you are making the large batch, & want to make the whole batch "gumpaste", I'd add 2 tsp. of tylose. I've used these measurements (1/2 tsp./4 oz fondant) with success.

FYI--I made the attached cake with mmf & did not use tylose or gum-tex at all. I just made the bow loops about 1/8" thick & made them several days in advance. I also made the mmf a little stiffer than usual, by adding a little more sugar than I normally do. Just a thought!

DSC001949.jpg DSC001949.jpg  (92 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

MARIE J
Posted: Wednesday October 07, 2009 3:23 PM

I'm with hpjmom on this one

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Wednesday October 07, 2009 3:55 PM

hpmom....love the cake!!

thanks for the advice...I'm going to try to make a bow out of mmf.

Report Violation

Bottom

pennyjoshua
Posted: Wednesday October 07, 2009 4:05 PM

Thank you, I shall follow your guide and give it another go. Your bows look beautiful that is exactly
how I want to do my cake with a top central bow, thank you for sharing

Report Violation

Bottom

alehaddad
Posted: Wednesday October 07, 2009 5:38 PM

I do use 1/2 spoon of Tylo, but my teacher told me to make the fondant with the tylo in advance. That I have to let the tylo work for 12 hours in advance.
Hope it works this info to you.

Report Violation

Bottom

hpjmom
Posted: Wednesday October 07, 2009 6:55 PM

alehaddad--That would make sense. It doesn't say to do that in the Wilton Celebrate with Fondant book, but I know that when I make Gum Paste, you have to let that set up overnight.

Report Violation

Bottom

alehaddad
Posted: Wednesday October 07, 2009 7:27 PM

Try it... And see if it works for you.. I do make a lot a bows and I live in a very humid place and thats my secret... Also wish and pray it doesnt rain and if it does close the entire house to keep up working LOL

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Wednesday October 07, 2009 9:58 PM

Penny, I have a recipe to make gum paste using Tylose powder. You know where to find me!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: