skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Freezing Cupcakes?
Created On Friday September 25, 2009 1:15 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

grannyskitchen
Posted: Friday September 25, 2009 1:15 AM

Does anyone freeze cupcakes? I read some of your techniques for freezing cakes, and it made me think of another question. My grandson volunteered me to make Halloween cupcakes for his class. I will be using Halloween theme liners for the cupcakes. I want to make the cupcakes ahead of time.

My cupcake liners always come out covered with grease spots. I once tried to bake the cupcakes and then put them in liners. What a disaster. The liners fanned out and I could not get them to stay around the cupcakes. I even tried to 'glue' them to the cupcake with frosting. I then tried to add another liner to the stained one , but that didn't work.

Can anyone tell me if I should freeze the cupcakes in the liner? Can any figure out a way to keep the liners grease free while they are baking. Any ideas about putting clean liners on cupcakes after they are cooked?

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Friday September 25, 2009 9:43 AM

I froze undecorated cupcakes then took them out and iced them. They were fine. As far as the liners getting greasy, one solution would be to use the silver or gold ones.
I rarely have a problem with the cupcakes pulling away from the paper. I always use cake mixes so maybe this makes them adhere better.

Report Violation

Bottom

grannyskitchen
Posted: Friday September 25, 2009 10:15 AM

Thanks, Sweetgrandma. I'm going to experiment on freezing them with a few bakery cupcakes today. I never even thought about the foil liners. Just a few days ago, I picked up 5 packages of them because they were marked down to $1.00 each. The were a good brand, too. I think the gold liners would go well with a Halloween theme. That's why I write you guys. You do all of thinking for me.

Report Violation

Bottom

adeline
Posted: Friday September 25, 2009 9:04 PM

i've read on here, i think, to use 2 liners when baking and the outer one looks great for show. i'll be trying it for my halloween cupcakes, you buy nice ones and they don't really show up well after baking!

Report Violation

Bottom

binkbink
Posted: Friday September 25, 2009 9:39 PM

I don't know what brand of silver cupcake liners you have, but the Reynolds foil liners don't even have to be used with a cupcake pan! You can just place them on a cookie sheet. I didn't know this until I looked at the holder they came in! So no grease, and I could bake more than 12 cupcakes at a time Just wanted to share, for those who may not already know. Have a great weekend!

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Sunday September 27, 2009 5:24 PM

binkbink...
did you actually bake them this way? I tried just one since I was baking cupcakes and had enough for one extra that didn't fit in the pan. It spread out and I had a really wide cupcake. I don't know what brand they were though...maybe they weren't Reynolds.

Report Violation

Bottom

binkbink
Posted: Sunday September 27, 2009 5:33 PM

Yes sweetgrandma I did. The baking cups are -Reynolds Baking Cups-Foil-that's what the packaging says. I wouldn't have thought baking without a cupcake pan would work-until I tried it, with these liners! they go straight on the cookie sheet.

Report Violation

Bottom

grannyskitchen
Posted: Sunday September 27, 2009 5:54 PM

Adeline, I tried cooking them in the second liner, but the second line flared out. I even tried dots of icing to hold it on, but it still flared out. I was using a liner printed with, I think, Ariel and it did not feel like a good quality liner. I have since found some grease-proof liners, but they are very limited on their colors. They don't have white, but they do have a dark green which will be perfect for Christmas. They are quite expensive for liners - $3.50 for a pack of 24.

Binkbink, the foil liners I bought were Reynolds. How to use them was another question that I was too embarrassed to ask. I did not know if I should use the cupcake pan or a cookie sheet. I guessed the cookie sheet, but then someone told me it is best to use the cupcake pan. I'm glad you told me that. I did not even realize about being able to bake more at one time. Thanks for that tip.

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Sunday September 27, 2009 6:18 PM

grannyskitchen - remove your cupcakes immediately from the pan to a cooling rack. This will help the wrappers from pulling away from the cake.

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Sunday September 27, 2009 6:20 PM

Oops, I forgot to mention. When freezing anything, air and moisture is your enemy. Try to vacuum seal undecorated cupcake as much as possible. (Low tech- drinking straw) This helps prevent the air crystallizing and causing freezer burn.

Report Violation

Bottom

grannyskitchen
Posted: Sunday September 27, 2009 6:29 PM

Mmumsie, what a great tip! Thanks.

Report Violation

Bottom

karen
Posted: Monday September 28, 2009 6:27 PM

While the theme cupcake liners are adorable, they aren't worth the money and aggravation. Why spend the money and have the liners look terrible. I only use Reynolds Foil liners. I'd rather decorate the cupcake for the theme than put money into the papers. You would think that with all the complaints and posts on this website, Wilton would come up with a better cupcake paper.

Report Violation

Bottom

grannyskitchen
Posted: Monday September 28, 2009 6:59 PM

I agree, Karen. After the last cupcake party for my grandson's daycare, I noticed that those kids don't even realize there is a liner on the cupcake Those kids moved so quickly, I think I could have wrapped them in toilet paper and they wouldn't have noticed. I didn't even have a chance to put the cupcakes all the way down on the table and all I saw were grubby little hands in the box. I was attacked from all directions. One even climbed up my leg. Another was so afraid he would miss one, he stuck himself to my other leg like velcro and I couldn't even walk. They reminded me of a school of piranhas. That is exactly why I am not wasting any more of my time hunting down the theme cupcake liners. The bonus with the foil liners is that you don't have to clean the pan.

Report Violation

Bottom

karen
Posted: Tuesday September 29, 2009 10:56 AM

Grannyskitchen..thanks for the laugh. That's exactly why I love to bake for kids.

Report Violation

Bottom

grannyskitchen
Posted: Tuesday September 29, 2009 12:58 PM

Hi Karen, I enjoy making cupcakes for my Grand babies's day care parties. They always tell me later that they are so proud. The first time I brought cupcakes, they needed a safari theme. I thought the cupcakes looked too plain in the the cupcake box. I created a whole jungle theme in the box just to dress them up. I even put in a waterfall, trees, etc. At the bottom of the waterfall was a shaded little lake with hippo ears and eyes poking out of the water. It took me a long time, but I had so much fun. The cupcakes survived a four hour drive to my daughter's house - completely intact. When I got to the daycare, the were mangled in about 3 seconds.

As soon as I walked in the door of the daycare, one of the teachers landed on me and snatched one before the kids could get to them. About a second after that, I was tackled by screaming kids with grubby little hands. The climbed all over me to get to the cupcakes. One kid even checked my pockets to make sure I wasn't holding out on him. I was completely boxed in and trying to peel the kids off my legs. I thought I was going to have to call 911 to get me out.

About 2 seconds after that, I was standing there in total shock. I was holding on to a shredded box with a death grip. I vaguely remember holding the box over my head while they climbed on me to get to them. I looked down and I had green icing in my hair and all over my clothes - including my shoes. One kid thought it was hysterical and wouldn't let go of my leg. I walked around for a quite a while with him attached to my leg like a dryer sheet. That was the day I decided that it does not matter what they look like. I was actually relieved that all I have to do in the future is make the cupcakes and slap on some icing. Or I could call 1-800-WalMart. Simple, right?

When I got over to the shock, I realized that I had not seen their teacher. I thought maybe she hid in a bathroom stall to eat her cupcake in peace. About that time, she walked in the room with another teacher. The other teacher had a little photo album in her hand. She walked over to me holding the last remaining survivor of the cupcakes. She scrutinized every detail. In a somewhat snooty voice, she informed me that she was a professional decorator. She makes the cakes and cupcakes for most of the parents from the daycare. I groaned inwardly. Pressure back on.

She insisted that I look at her album. I was actually nervous thinking that she picked out so many flaws on mine. When I looked at her pictures, I knew I was safe. Pressure off again. For a Spiderman theme, she iced the cupcakes red, then stuck a plastic Spiderman in the middle. They weren't even straight. For a Dora theme, she iced the cupcakes green and stuck on a sugar Dora. The Doras looked like she stood back and pitched the Doras at the cupcakes. I was so relieved - pressure off again.

I can't help but make something special anyway. I float in the air for weeks after I get that sweet little whisper in my ear, "Granny, I am SO proud."

Report Violation

Bottom

mamajaejae
Posted: Thursday October 01, 2009 12:11 AM

binkbink

I bought the foil cupcake liners and thought they were great....really kept their shape.
BUT....I have people in my family that cannot eat items that come with foil pans, etc. They have some type of horrible feeling in their mouths.
One of my daughters cannot even eat a piece of apple pie from a foil pan unless she uses a plastic fork. I thought it was because of fillings in her teeth, but then I remembered she doesn't have any fillings!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: