skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: Cake Price Calculator 1.4
Recoil 09/02/2009 12:08 AM
Cake Price Calculator, version 1, build 3:

http://www.2shared.com/file/7526852/7c435877/CakePriceCalc14.html

Scroll down to:

Save file to your PC: click here

SUPER MAJOR UPDATE:

- 2" prices fixed. Now you will no longer calculate at "how much less than 4 inch". Instead you not only manually set your number of servings for 2" pans if you wish, but they calculate at the number of servings instead of twice as much. Last thread went into much detail about this. Out of the box 2" tiered prices are at $3.00...just run a few calculations to see how it does for you, or set it to what you want.

OTHER:

- I have yet to add anything new other than some coding stuff that just simplified readability and structure for myself. I know there were some requests for adding a quantity for the cakes, and individual items for decoration stuff. Also there was my idea of a list of items that you could rent and calculate a percentage of the new cost, as well as printing this whole thing off in a contract. I have spent about 4 hours today running over all of this, plus additional features, wants, and needs for myself, and all of this together would not make this a very "computer-illiterate-user-friendly" program. This would actually need to take on the form of an Order Management System. As it stands the program allows the user to

A) Set thier prices
B) Set the number of servings for each pan
C) A few clicks of a limited selection and they have a price

I know, not much to it but it's free .

- So for now I think this is going to be it for this program that way I can turn my main focus on setting up what I'm needing, which my list right now consists of 10 additional screens, and about 200+ features. Aside from technical issues and minor fixes, I'm probably not going to add anything else to this.

Now, that's not saying that I wont customize something unique for someone based off of this, or a completely new Windows Forms Application, but I would have to compensate myself a portion for individualized requests. I'm not soliciting anything here, so just send me an email if you have specific needs and I will let you know if I will be able to assist.

If you are having technical problems working with or installing this program, please email: taledus@yahoo.com

*This program is what it is, a free customizable complex calculator. In no way does this compare to, or intended to be, a considerable replacement for Cake Boss Software.
vthorse 09/02/2009 7:52 AM
Now make one for a Mac!! LOL!
Recoil 09/02/2009 8:37 AM
Okay, I have looked into this just now. It will run on a Mac, but only with something called Virtual PC installed on the Mac system, which would not be worth it for the end-user to spend on the program and a copy of Windows.

But there's also:

http://www.realsoftware.com/store/?category=1&platform=win

"REALbasic Professional Edition for Windows"
"The most current release of REALbasic Professional Edition. The new license includes six months of updates."
"$299.00"

But then, I don't have the money to spend on this development software, or on a Mac for testing purposes. The syntax is very similar to VB.NET that I have used for making this calculator, but it just wont work with what I have now. So as soon as I hit the lottery, which I never buy tickets for, I would freely port this over .

Now, if you know someone who uses realBasic for programming on Mac, have them send me an email and I would gladly send them my source so they could convert it. As it is now, it's not that difficult of a program to build. It is just a form with some equations written in it.

But I will also check to see if anyone on the programming forum I stay on would be willing to transfer the code. I wouldn't be able to pay them, as I have made like no profit on this, but I will still ask .
bunnywoman 09/02/2009 9:14 AM
"Okay, I have looked into this just now. It will run on a Mac, but only with something called Virtual PC installed on the Mac system, which would not be worth it for the end-user to spend on the program and a copy of Windows."

Oh sure......I see how you are now!!!!!!! HEE! HEE! I have a MAC. No wonder I could not get it to work. I was just chocking it up to I am computer stupid. It does make me feel better though that it is not MAC compatible and it wasn't ME this time!!!! LOL!
Recoil 09/02/2009 9:33 AM
LOL! Sorry. Being new to writing programs for public use, I didn't even think that there might be people out there who use Mac's. My wife and I are getting a Mac because they are better for handling multimedia programs, but it is going to be some time off. I definately should have tried to put together some sort of System Requirements, but thought that this was such a simple program it shouldn't take much to run it.
Recoil 09/02/2009 10:16 AM
Alright, I have contacted one of my firends and am waiting for him to get back with me. He can usually get just about anything I need, and since I'm not making anything to sell, don't feel too bad about bootlegged programs. I will try to get the realBASIC program, but am not sure about cross-compatability between a Mac and a PC. From what I read a program written withrealBASIC can be used on both Mac and PC, but not exactly sure. So, give me some time and let me see what I can come up with.
bunnywoman 09/02/2009 10:49 AM
I have nothing but time, Recoil! LOL!

Thanks for trying to help me.
cakelady56 09/02/2009 2:25 PM
I tried to get this and my computer says it can't be accessed. I would love to be able to download this it is by far the best I have evere seen and I can even understand it my email is skwhite@embarqmail.com
Recoil 09/02/2009 2:41 PM
Cakelady - give me about 5 minutes and I will have it emailed. Your browser must not be allowing javascript to run.
LavenderLily16 09/02/2009 7:19 PM
"Thanks for trying to help me."

And me, too.
Jeanne G 09/05/2009 1:54 PM
I'd like to have a look at this. Once again I can't open a rar file. I can't remember how we got around that last time ... can you?
Recoil 09/05/2009 6:43 PM
Jeanne - see if you can't right-click on it, select "Open With", and see if you can use Winzip or Compressed (zipped) Folders. Last time I put it out was a Rar file, but this time I tried to use the Zip compression software. If you still have a problem trying to get it, let me know and I'll have to see how else I can put it on a site.
Jeanne G 09/05/2009 7:11 PM
OK. I extracted it, ran the install, it says it installed successfully, but where IS it? Where does the install put the executable?
Jeanne G 09/05/2009 7:19 PM
Duh, nevermind. After I read my own questions I asked myself where the heck I'd expect to find an executable. Got it!
Recoil 09/05/2009 7:30 PM
Oh, LOL...I guess I like trying new stuff too much and not letting y'all know. Last time I had a shortcut install it on the desktop. This time I tried the Programs menu off the Start button. oops
Jeanne G 09/05/2009 8:04 PM
Excellent job, Recoil!

Easy to use, easy to customize, good logical structure for applying consistent pricing to an inconsistent array of cake sizes and shapes.

Congratulations! (And thank you.)
cakedujour 09/05/2009 10:38 PM
What a lot of work you put into this incredible pricing aid! I am really in awe of your talent and generosity! Thank you so, so much for all the time and effort you put into this. It is amazing!
Recoil 09/05/2009 11:15 PM

Thanks! The biggest portion was getting the input needed to come up with something that would "generally" work for anyone. I know it's not specifically detailed, but initially I just wanted something very easy to use. Right now I am completely re-working this little program into a large Order Management System.

Mac users - I have been unable to find someone to help port this over to the proper programming environment. Also my friend has had no luck finding the correct program that I need to do this, but don't lose hope...I am still working towards figuring something out .
Recoil 09/09/2009 4:40 PM
A quick update - There is still no luck with finding someone for the update to Mac machines, or the software needed to do it myself. I have been looking into this over the past several days but with no luck. I will keep this thread up to date when I come across something that will enable me to provide this for those machines.

Thanks,
-Nicholas
kcarver2008 11/13/2009 8:16 PM
I went to download this tonight, but after it was done, it kicked me right back to the open with box, i tried
finding it on my computer, but couldn't. any other ideas on how to download it?

Thanks
Kayla