skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Temper Candy Melts
Created On Tuesday September 01, 2009 3:35 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

infinitygirl
Posted: Tuesday September 01, 2009 3:35 PM

I am new to this whole Chocolate thing and I was wondering do these Melts have to be tempered?

Report Violation

Bottom

farmerswife
Posted: Tuesday September 01, 2009 4:33 PM

Hi infinitygirl!! No need to temper. I melt in the microwave on a defrost setting (so there is less of a chance to scorch) Stir every 30 seconds until melted. Then dip or pour away!!!! Happy candies

Report Violation

Bottom

infinitygirl
Posted: Tuesday September 01, 2009 5:21 PM

Cool thanks for the info -- I was just doing some research and kept coming up with this temper thing and I was getting a bit worried -- LOL But so glad to hear that can be left out. So I should just becareful not to make the chocolate to hot right?

Report Violation

Bottom

coloradogirl
Posted: Tuesday September 01, 2009 5:25 PM

Some chocolates have to be tempered but candy melts are not chocolate. You can get the cocoa flavor/color but it isn't the same as chocolate. Course that doesn't mean they don't taste good.

Report Violation

Bottom

LavenderLily16
Posted: Tuesday September 01, 2009 6:40 PM

You only need to temper *real* chocolate, as in, made with cocoa butter. Candy Melts, and other "confectionery coatings" exist so that you don't have to temper.
FTR, if you're using real chocolate and starting with it already tempered, if you *just barely* melt it - heat in the microwave until it's mostly melted, and then stir to let the residual heat melt the rest of it - then it won't have lost it's temper (hehehe) and you don't have to re-temper.

Report Violation

Bottom

infinitygirl
Posted: Tuesday September 01, 2009 7:57 PM

I really appreciate the feedback -- Thanks so much for the info. I did stumble upon this forum and I really think I will be spending a lot of time here.

Report Violation

Bottom

binkbink
Posted: Tuesday September 01, 2009 7:58 PM

This forum is addictive! Just like cake decorating!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: