skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: zebra print with buttercream?
KTB 08/18/2009 10:41 PM
I'm making a 40th birthday 13x19 next weekend and have pretty much been given free reign over the design. I'm thinking that I want it to be fun and was debating trying a zebra print. But I don't want to use fondant on this cake, only buttercream. Can you do zebra print this way and if so how?

Thanks in advance
bunnywoman 08/18/2009 11:36 PM
Fondant would be the ticket here for this. Easy peasey!

Well.........how about rolled buttercream? That would be the same basic concept as fondant.

Ok.....technically you could do this with just buttercream, but it would be time consuming and a royal pain in the tush!
farmerswife 08/19/2009 2:11 AM
I have made a couple of zebra cakes. I frosted in buttercream and applied black fondant "zebra" stripes!! It worked great and the cake recipients loved them!!!
KTB 08/19/2009 7:38 AM
I figured it would come back that fondant was the answer. I can't do the whole thing in fondant because she doesn't want a fondant covered cake - plus I haven't accounted for that in my price quote - well I did give her the fondant option and charged accordingly but she didn't want it. (aren't you proud of me bunny - I'm trying not to give things away )

However I probably could just ice in buttercream and do MMF accents around the sides which is where I was going to put the pattern. Hmmm yes that could work.

I haven't worked with rolled buttercream yet and am not sure I want my first project to try it to be such a big and important cake. I don't have time to practice between now and then either.

Thanks for the advice, I'm sure I'll be back for more.
bunnywoman 08/19/2009 10:20 AM
Very proud of you!!!!

I guess I should have clarified a little better on this one. I would ice my cake in BC and then use thin MMF zebra accents.
KTB 08/19/2009 11:11 AM
Yes I think that's what I'll do - buttercream with MMF accents. That is providing she gives me the "funky: design go ahead. If not well then it's back to the drawing board
hpjmom 08/19/2009 7:28 PM
I totally agree. I've done several zebra print cakes & they are super easy with buttercream icing & mmf stripes. I have been using Satin Ice Black fondant for my stripes because I don' t have to color it. I also purchased a pasta roller attachment for my KA for fondant use & that makes it even easier!
KTB 08/19/2009 10:53 PM
Ooh hpjmom I never thought of the pasta attachment. I have a fake KA but my Mom has a real one. Hmm I wonder if she has the pasta attachment, must check