skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: Wilton Glucose & Corn syrup....Wilton Glycerine & Glycerin???
createacake7 08/10/2009 7:09 PM
Hi everyone....I'm just curious.....I know these maybe stupid questions but I just wanted to know....

Is there really a difference between glucose & corn syrup??

I drive over 1/2 hour away just to get to the nearest Michael's or Joanne's they are the only ones that sell glucose ....but the ONLY ingredient in it is corn syrup???

Also....What about Wilton glycerine (only ingredient is glycerin) & pharmacy glycerin(ingredient:99.5% glycerin & Anhydrous--skin protectant) from the pharmacy?----Believe it or not that's the only place I found here that sells it.

When I do drive to Michael's or Joanne's I make sure I stock up on both and buy all they have on the shelf. But .....just in case if I ran short and needed some.....I was just wondering if there was a difference.

I use these both in the Rolled fondant recipe in the Wilton magazine.
mmumsie 08/10/2009 10:04 PM
Glucose and corn syrup are both invert sugars. (They won't crystallize.) Corn syrup is a syrup, made using cornstarch, and composed mainly of glucose.

The more general term glucose syrup is often used synonymously with corn syrup, since it is most commonly made from corn starch.

The viscosity and sweetness of the syrup depends on the extent to which the hydrolysis reaction has been carried out. To distinguish different grades of syrup, they are rated according to their "dextrose equivalent" (DE).

Here is info on Glycerin. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycerin
dottiepark 08/11/2009 2:48 AM
If you have glucose in your kitchen and corn syrup, you can compare and see the difference. Though they may be made from the same basic stuff, you can't substitute them in recipes. The glucose called for in the fondant recipe is WAY WAY thicker than corn syrup. You will wind up with a soupy mess, much as if you tried to whip skim milk. Skim milk and heavy cream are both dairy products but they don't perform the same. As for the glycerine, ask the pharmacist if it is food grade (edible).
cupcake_123 08/11/2009 4:25 AM
The glycerine that I use is 100% glycerol (glycerine, glycerin, glycerol - all different names for the same thing). Although it can be used to treat dry skin, the kind that you need is the one that you get for treating sore throats and coughs and has ONLY got glycerol in it - nothing else. So like dottiepark says, check with the pharmacist first just to make sure that it's food safe.
createacake7 08/12/2009 6:38 PM
Thank you all so much for your help!
tinkerbell20 05/30/2013 10:44 PM
Hi!! Well ive done both and the differences i can see are that glucose made fondant is harder and whiter, whereas light corn syrup has a better taste and its softer but no a gooey mess, and has an ivorish color