skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: White butter vs white margarine for BC frosting? Where can I find white butter?
Created On Friday August 07, 2009 8:18 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

uofmmom08
Posted: Friday August 07, 2009 8:18 AM

Hi everyone!

I was told by my instructor that she uses white butter in her wedding cakes. I had never heard of this. It is amazing the things I am learning taking classes and reading these fantastic posts here in the Wilton Forums.

I found 3 cake decorating stores close to me and none of them carry white butter, only white margarine. I did buy some. My question is, can you use white margarine in bc recipes? I thought margarine was a no no.

Has anyone used white margarine with good results? How about white butter? Where can I find white butter?

Thanks for your help!

Report Violation

Bottom

judahsma
Posted: Friday August 07, 2009 8:45 AM

Someone mentioned white butter in a thread awhile back. Several people, myself included, said they've never heard of it and never seen it, so we asked the person about it. Unfortunately, they never responded back. No one else jumped in either, so I'm very curious to see if anyone responds with information as to where you can buy it. If you do a Google search, there are a few links for a white butter sauce that contains other ingredients, but I'm not finding anything for white butter.

Report Violation

Bottom

ladycatisadiva
Posted: Friday August 07, 2009 8:49 AM
View users profile

I have never heard of white butter either. I do remember that posting. I think because butter is not yellow like margarine they are calling it white. Butter really does not have a color if you look at it. It's really kind of white looking.

So, I think that's what they are referring to.

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Friday August 07, 2009 9:04 AM

Ackk! No! No margarine! That is the worst of both worlds for frosting. It does not have the stability of shortening and it does not have the taste of butter. No! Use that margarine you bought for chocolate chip cookies and skip it in the frosting! (Not that I have a strong opinion, of course.)

Butter is made from cream. That's it. Cream is well, cream-colored. It is not white and butter made from cream cannot be white. Most companies add yellow color to their butter to keep it uniform throughout the year (because straight from the cow it would vary and that, the reasoning goes, might confuse consumers). So maybe there are some companies that don't color the butter and they call that "white" -- I don't know, I've never seen it around here. But even uncolored butter is not bright white. (Have you ever over whipped cream and made your own butter? It is not "yellow" but it sure isn't white.)

Ask your instructor where she gets hers and the brand, etc. ... and then report back to us, please. Inquirng minds want to know!

Report Violation

Bottom

dottiepark
Posted: Friday August 07, 2009 10:48 AM
View users profile

Just add some Wilton Icing White to your BC.

Report Violation

Bottom

pennyjoshua
Posted: Friday August 07, 2009 11:27 AM

Hi, I use Lurpak unsalted. It is a Danish butter readily available in the UK. It is not brillant white but definately not yellow more an ivory colour. When I use this with the veg shortening to make Jeanne's buttercream icing the BC turns out white with absolutely no need to add Wilton white white colouring. Penny

Report Violation

Bottom

uofmmom08
Posted: Friday August 07, 2009 4:38 PM

Hi

thank you for all of your posts!

Jeanne I will ask my instructor this Tuesday where she buys it and let you know.

I didn't know about the Wilton Icing White. I will try that.

Report Violation

Bottom

N8sMom96
Posted: Friday August 07, 2009 4:43 PM

Uofmmom09 - if you have the violet gel coloring, you don't need the Wilton white. Just trying to save you a bit of money. Just take a toothpick and dab a little (I mean a little - toothpick tip full) and put it in your icing while it's in your mixer. Mix well. Your icing will turn white. Sounds odd, but it really works. I do this all the time. My instructor passed this tip on to us.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: