skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Does anyone add an extra egg and butter to store bought cake mixes?
Created On Thursday July 23, 2009 11:47 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

uofmmom08
Posted: Thursday July 23, 2009 11:47 AM

Hi!

Does anyone add an extra egg and softened butter to their store bought cake mixes? If you add butter what is the ratio for butter and oil? 1/2 stick and 1/3 cup?

Thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

mom2abc
Posted: Thursday July 23, 2009 12:19 PM

I have only added extra eggs and a package of instant pudding. The eggs make the cake more dense.

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Thursday July 23, 2009 12:33 PM

No, I don't substitute butter. If I want to use butter I buy a mix based on adding butter. I generally prefer the texture of the oil-based cakes. (Personal preference, obviously.)

When I want a somewhat more dense, sturdy cake I use the very-old very-standard "pound cake variation" which is to add 1 4-serving size pudding mix (dry), add one extra egg, and increase the oil a little if the mix calls for less than 1/2 cup of oil.

Report Violation

Bottom

uofmmom08
Posted: Thursday July 23, 2009 12:46 PM

Thank you!

I currently use Duncan Hines mixes and will just follow the usual directions.

Off to bake!

Report Violation

Bottom

N8sMom96
Posted: Thursday July 23, 2009 1:03 PM

I do not add anything, but bake it at 325 instead of 350 like the box calls for and the same amount of time. Your cake will be very moist.

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Thursday July 23, 2009 3:14 PM

DH has improved their formula years ago for the home cake baker and decorator. No need to add anything extra.

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Thursday July 23, 2009 3:34 PM

That is true of Pillsbury and Betty Crocker, too, mmumsie. A half-century or so ago, when my friends and I "doctored" a cake mix it was to fix some flaw -- to make them well.

Cake mixes all on their own make perfectly "well" cakes these days. No need to overcome a cardboardy taste or mask the coconut oil flavor, etc. And certainly not to make them moist -- they can teach scratch cakes a trick or two in that department.

It is still fun to "doctor" mixes, for changes in flavor or texture and just to feel creative. If you want an orange cake, sure, change the liquid, add zest, maybe experiment with Grand Marnier. But for a plain yellow cake? The cake mix is fine just as it is, thanks.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: