skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Flipping the cake?!
Created On Thursday July 23, 2009 6:39 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Krystle56
Posted: Thursday July 23, 2009 6:39 AM

I was wondering what everyone prefers to do when they take the cake out of the pan and put it on the cake board....do you flip it upside down or leave the top side up??

Report Violation

Bottom

ladycatisadiva
Posted: Thursday July 23, 2009 7:15 AM
View users profile

I flip mine upside down. Meaning the bottom is face up. I just think I get a smoother finish.

Report Violation

Bottom

SarahM
Posted: Thursday July 23, 2009 7:49 AM

I also flip it. I can't ever trim the top perfectly flat, so flipping it over solves that problem!

Report Violation

Bottom

ladycatisadiva
Posted: Thursday July 23, 2009 8:13 AM
View users profile

Even though I flip, I still level. All my cakes now.

Report Violation

Bottom

lovegrace
Posted: Thursday July 23, 2009 8:21 AM

I flip it every time. SO much easier to frost the flatter, crusted side instead of the crumbly, cut side. Plus, I do mostly fondant, so flipping the cake makes the fondant look better.

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Thursday July 23, 2009 8:55 AM

Krystle, I make tons of character and novelty-shaped cakes. There is absolutely no question with those pans: the side that is on the bottom in the oven becomes the top when you are decorating! I find that applies well to all pans.

But ... I would never take the cake out of the pan and put it directly on the cakeboard. The cake cools slightly in the pan (10 minutes), is flipped out onto a cooling rack, cools completely (2 hours) and gets moved to a cakeboard. Maybe your question was just taking a shortcut in words, but I wanted to clarify that. The cake cools with air circulating around it, first in the pan briefly, then naked.

Report Violation

Bottom

eddiesgirl8282
Posted: Thursday July 23, 2009 9:02 AM

I flip mine to have the bottom side up, but after about an hour I flip it back over, and I always level my cakes as well.

Report Violation

Bottom

ladycatisadiva
Posted: Thursday July 23, 2009 9:16 AM
View users profile

SarahM, all you need is a leveler. The come out perfect every time.

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Thursday July 23, 2009 9:28 AM

SarahM, if you mean that after you level your cake it has small irregularities that would be hard to frost smoothly, you are right -- placing that side down solves the problem. Sometimes cakes bake with small irregularities. Even if they don't need leveling placing the top side down solves that problem, too.

(Any way you look at it, the top side in the oven is the bottom side on the cakeboard. )

But if you mean that after you level your cake it still has hills and valleys, then the better practice is to use a leveler or practice leveling so you really get a level surface. A big hill can cause cake cracking even if the cake is flipped over. Little irregularities? Fine, hide them on the bottom! Cake still not level? Try different techniques.

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Thursday July 23, 2009 11:28 AM

I'm curious, eddiesgirl8282. Why do you flip it over again?

Report Violation

Bottom

Krystle56
Posted: Thursday July 23, 2009 3:42 PM

Thanks for the help!

I baked the cake last night, let it cool all evening, then wrapped it in a little saran wrap while I went to work today....now tonight I'm going to decorate it. I haven't flipped it onto a board yet, but was just curious how I should do it. Thank you!

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Thursday July 23, 2009 4:40 PM

"I'm curious, eddiesgirl8282. Why do you flip it over again?"

The only cakes that I do the double flip are the standing 3D pans like the standing teddy bear, rubber ducky etc. These need to release the heat and steam from both sides of the cake.

All other pans never get a double flip.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: