skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: I added sour cream to cake mix
Created On Wednesday July 22, 2009 6:53 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

vthorse
Posted: Wednesday July 22, 2009 6:53 PM

And boy is it good, without having to bake my regular sour cream cake from scratch.

I didn't subtract anything, just added about 1/2 cup of sour cream to a store brand yellow cake mix..then thought, if 1/2 cup is good, 3/4 must be better! So I tossed in a bit more.

Then I had leftover buttercream frosting in the fridge that I re-whipped after throwing in almost a full 8 oz. pkg of cream cheese. (would've been full, had someone not gotten into it.)

What a yummy cake!

No special occasion, other than it's my treat (not the whole cake, I assure you!) for my after weigh in at TOPS tonight.

I didn't even decorate it other than the frosting cover, although I did get so very fancy and torted both 9" layers.

And, yikes, I didn't have enough frosting to do a crumb coat and a top coat, because of me getting so fancy and using the frosting on 4 layers.

But it was nice to play around just for myself.

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Wednesday July 22, 2009 9:56 PM

Yummy!

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Wednesday July 22, 2009 10:32 PM
View users profile

Sounds really good. Think I'll try that.

Report Violation

Bottom

katyrzinia
Posted: Thursday July 23, 2009 1:45 AM

Daisy Brand Sour Cream ran an advertisement that suggested adding 1/2 cup of their sour cream to any cake mix to make it extra moist and delicious.

Cake Mix Doctor cookbook has many recipes that use that addition and even a full cup to many of the recipes too. Makes for very good results! I love the addition of sour cream to my cakes---they stay so moist and have extra flavor.

Good thinking!

katryzinia

Report Violation

Bottom

lovegrace
Posted: Thursday July 23, 2009 8:28 AM

It is fun to play around! The other day I made a white cake (box mix) and marbles in blackberry jam, then baked. It stuck to the pan a little, but tasted wonderful! Of course I'm thinking about joining WeightWatchers from all this "taste testing"! We make such a wonderful product!

Report Violation

Bottom

CJR4LSU
Posted: Thursday July 23, 2009 9:08 AM

I have a question about the sour cream...does it make the cake taste like sour cream? In other words, would you add this to all cakes, or would the Daisy make my white wedding almond cake taste like sour cream 9ugh!)?

Report Violation

Bottom

katyrzinia
Posted: Thursday July 23, 2009 10:53 AM

With just a half cup of sour cream, there really is not a major change in the flavor---just the texture and moistness.

I suggest you try it on a sample recipe and see what you think. I personally like the addition and the taste.

katyrzinia

Report Violation

Bottom

CJR4LSU
Posted: Thursday July 23, 2009 11:00 AM

thanks katyrzinia!

Report Violation

Bottom

vthorse
Posted: Thursday July 23, 2009 11:11 AM

I can taste the difference, and because I make it, I know it's sour cream..but don't know if others would pick up on it.

Just adds a good dimension.

Report Violation

Bottom

cheatize
Posted: Thursday July 23, 2009 7:07 PM

I add sour cream all the time and no one has ever mentioned tasting it in the cake.

Report Violation

Bottom

vthorse
Posted: Thursday July 23, 2009 7:17 PM

To me, it doesn't taste LIKE sour cream, but it does add a wonderful texture and flavor. I just can't come up with the right word!

Report Violation

Bottom

CJR4LSU
Posted: Thursday July 23, 2009 7:36 PM

Thanks-I'll have to try it out.

Report Violation

Bottom

wjm
Posted: Saturday July 25, 2009 8:41 PM

When you use the sour cream, if you are "doctoring" your cake mix, do you also add the extra eggs and oil along with the sour cream? How much of each ingredient do you add?

Report Violation

Bottom

vthorse
Posted: Saturday July 25, 2009 9:36 PM

I didn't delete or add anything that the box called for. I only added about 3/4 cup sour cream.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: