skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Stretching a Cake Mix
Created On Tuesday July 21, 2009 10:06 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

ceecee1024
Posted: Tuesday July 21, 2009 10:06 AM

Hi! Does anyone know how to stretch a cake mix so that it makes just a little more? I am using one box of mix to make 24 chocolate cupcakes for a 2 year old's birthday party, but I would like to make a jumbo cupcake just for the birthday girl without having to use another entire mix. What should I add? Thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

ladycatisadiva
Posted: Tuesday July 21, 2009 10:14 AM
View users profile

Another box of cake mix. I have made a lot of those Giant Cupcakes.

A lot of others seem not to get as much yield, but I only need one box of cake mix for the Giant Cupcake, and one box for 2 doz + cupcakes.

Not sure what I do differently but some say they need more than one box for the Giant Cupcake. I have never used more than one box. I've probably made at least 15 or so by now and never used more than one box.

Report Violation

Bottom

ceecee1024
Posted: Tuesday July 21, 2009 10:19 AM

I'm sorry, let me clarify...I'm not referring to the giant cupcake that is a cake in and of itself. I just mean one of the larger, Texas-sized cupcakes for the baby to eat on her own. Thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

ladycatisadiva
Posted: Tuesday July 21, 2009 10:25 AM
View users profile

My fault, you did say Jumbo not Giant. Read cat, read.....lol. Well, I don't have a recipe that will stretch a box cake, I have read where people add an extra egg or two, some extra flour to make it more dense, but not sure about stretching it to make more that what the box yield states.

Sorry about that.

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Tuesday July 21, 2009 10:25 AM

Do you have to have the full 24 cupcakes? Could you do 22 cupcakes and 1 large one?

I seldom get the full 24 from a single cake mix. If this party is for small children, maybe the more skimpy size you get by making 24 is suitable.

You can add a Jiffy mix and the ingredients it calls for. But for the price you are proably better off just using another mix.

Have you seen hpjmom's extender recipe? Look in the Recipes forum.

Report Violation

Bottom

ceecee1024
Posted: Tuesday July 21, 2009 10:44 AM

I do need all 24. The chocolate cupcakes are half of a larger 48 cupcake mosaic that will be made with another flavor. I have had some difficulty getting 24 cupcakes out of a box, so I am hoping that stretching a bit will help with that problem as well.

I will definitely check out hjpmom's extender recipe. Thanks to both of you for answering!

Report Violation

Bottom

ladycatisadiva
Posted: Tuesday July 21, 2009 10:52 AM
View users profile

You are welcome. Not trying to be funny, but it may be just easier to do the extra box of cake mix. You can always put the left over batter in the refrigerator cook it later, make a small cake practice your decorating skills on it.

The thing is if you really need all 24 cupcakes and I thought Jeanne's suggestion was really good.
Basically instead of filling them 3/4 full just fill them 1/2 full. That would definitely give you enough batter left to fill the jumbo cupcake for the little one.

This way there is not adjusting the recipe or having something now come out right because it's the first time that you tried it. If it does not come out right, then you are buying another mix anyway.

Hope you are able to figure it out and if you use the extender recipe I really hope it works for you.

Post pics when you are done.

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Tuesday July 21, 2009 1:42 PM

I regularly get more than 24 cupcakes to a mix. I fill the cups a little over half full. This makes the cupcakes come to the top but not a big mound on top. I like to pile the buttercream frosting on and they come out looking fine. Doing it this way you'd get enough extra to make your larger cupcake.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Tuesday July 21, 2009 8:36 PM

I use a cake mix extender recipe. It works very well. Recipes are posted in the RECIPES forum.

Report Violation

Bottom

ceecee1024
Posted: Tuesday July 28, 2009 1:49 PM

Thanks so much to everyone who responded. The extender recipe worked beautifully. I probably actually didn't need it because I measured everything rather than eyeballing it, but I was glad to have the resource at hand anyway! Pictures are attached.

wilton37.JPG wilton37.JPG  (37 KB)
wilton44.JPG wilton44.JPG  (97 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: