skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: fondant checkerboard
Created On Thursday July 09, 2009 4:43 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

eddiesgirl8282
Posted: Thursday July 09, 2009 4:43 PM

I'm making a cars cake and I was wanting to make the sides of the cake checkerboard like a racing flag but I dont want to just stick black squares onto white fondant, I want it to be together so does anyone know how to do this??

Report Violation

Bottom

Nimoway
Posted: Thursday July 09, 2009 4:59 PM

I'd like to know how to do this one too - my son wants Lightning McQueen for his birthday this year, guessing there is going to be a checkered flag on it somewhere.

Looking forward to hearing from the voice(s) of experience.

Report Violation

Bottom

eddiesgirl8282
Posted: Friday July 10, 2009 12:29 PM

Anybody???

Report Violation

Bottom

vthorse
Posted: Friday July 10, 2009 2:15 PM

will bump you! good luck! (I just did a race car cake with the checkerboard, but I piped buttercream.)

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Friday July 10, 2009 2:32 PM
View users profile

I'm making a red checked tablecloth tonight so I guess you could do the flag the same way. I'm just following the directions in a fondant book (a Wilton book...the name escapes me.) I'm using a square cutter from that small fondant set (I'm not home and I can't think of the name of the set, sorry) and marking off the squares onto the white fondant tablecloth. I'm using the red icing writer, thinned with a little water, and painting the alternating squares on the tablecloth to achieve the checkered design.

Hope this helps!

Report Violation

Bottom

obesa
Posted: Friday July 10, 2009 2:36 PM

I'm also going to have to do a fondant checkerboard for a "Twilight" cake in a week. I was wanting to do what you want and make it all look like one piece. I think I've gotten past this because I couldn't figure out how to do it. Someone gave me a book called "Cakes and Cake Decorating" and it has a chess board on top of a square cake. They've covered it with fondant and marked off the lines with a ruler and attached the black squares. It really looks good and I think this is the way I'm going to do it.

In one of my Wilton books there is a technique that is what I wanted to use but it's only done on a strip of fondant say -3"x6" or so. It would be impossible to do it on fondant the size needed for a cake without it stretching and getting all the squares out of shape. They took that strip of fondant that I mentioned above and put strips of fondant in another color on top and rolled over them with the rolling pin till they looked like one smooth piece.

Report Violation

Bottom

obesa
Posted: Friday July 10, 2009 2:41 PM

Look at this cake - it's a bit hard to see but they've taken white squares and pink squares and it looks even and smooth. Maybe that's what we should do. I have to do this cake in one week and I'm still playing around with ideas. Sorry I can't be of more help.
http://www.wilton.com/idea/Teddy-Bears-Picnic

Report Violation

Bottom

obesa
Posted: Friday July 10, 2009 3:01 PM

Here's another one where they have used both colors and it is even and looks nice.
http://www.wilton.com/idea/Malt-Shoppe-Memories

Report Violation

Bottom

eddiesgirl8282
Posted: Friday July 10, 2009 3:59 PM

Ok so I just went to my cake store and asked them for info, and they had a cake there with the checkerboard on the sides and what they did was using the square quilting impression mat, made the impressions on white fondant, cut out the squares for the black pieces and stuck the black squares in there place. Hope that makes sense!

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Friday July 10, 2009 4:16 PM

Is this for a square or round cake? For a square cake, I would cut out the squares that will form the checkerboard. Then cut one long piece of white (thin) the height and width needed, to hold all the pieces. Then attach the pieces in alternating patterns. You can GENTLY roll then so they butt up to each other to make one piece. You could even do the background piece in gum paste to hold the shape even better.

Report Violation

Bottom

obesa
Posted: Friday July 10, 2009 4:33 PM

YAY! Mmumsie to the rescue! Thanks - this will help me decide what technique I want to use to

Report Violation

Bottom

eddiesgirl8282
Posted: Friday July 10, 2009 4:41 PM

I've been looking for mmumsie to help!!! Thank you!

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Friday July 10, 2009 4:53 PM
View users profile

My directions are in a cake called Celebrate with Fondant. When I finish it, I'll post a picture and let you know how these directions work out. I considered doing it the way mmumsie is talking about (a method I think I would prefer) but since I have to roll it, pick it up and have it drape over a "table" I'm worried that I'd lose the square shapes in the moving and draping process. The method I'm going to try looks like it will be a pain in the neck but I'm going to try it anyway. Wish me luck!

Report Violation

Bottom

eddiesgirl8282
Posted: Tuesday July 14, 2009 10:56 PM

I have figured out a way to make my own checkerboard everyone! I bought a "make your own stencil" sheet and traced the checkerboard pattern onto the stencil and cut out the black squares, I then bought the black spray mist and just sprayed it over the cake. I've only done a practice run so far and it worked great so hopefully it will work for the real cake this weekend! I will post pics when I've finished!!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: