skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: How many servings from a 9x13 cake?
Created On Tuesday June 09, 2009 1:25 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Dustbunny
Posted: Tuesday June 09, 2009 1:25 PM

I'm making a cake for a baby shower and there will be 20 guests. How many "real people" servings (not Wilton servings) can I expect from a cake this size? Should I make it a two layer cake to be sure everyone has a good size piece?

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Tuesday June 09, 2009 3:55 PM

If you put one cake mix (or the equivalent) in the pan, a cake mix says it serves 12 people.

If you follow the Wilton directions and put 7 cups of batter in the pan and bake two and stack them, Wilton says it serves 45 people. (14 cups of batter is about 3 cakes mixes)

Both of those numbers seem reasonable to me, for the "real people" I know.

If you want to cut that cake into 20 pieces, you might cut 4 rows, (between 2 and 2.5" each) and 5 slices per row (each a little more than 2.5" wide.) I think you could get by with that if you put 7 cups of batter in the pan, and torte it into two layers.

Report Violation

Bottom

hpjmom
Posted: Wednesday June 10, 2009 10:32 AM

I sell that size as a 22 serving cake. Do the hosts want extra cake? Sometimes my customers order extra so they (or others) can take a piece home. If they don't want extra cake, I'd make the 9 x 13 (one layer). From my experience, not everyone eats cake & if they do, some people will just want to taste it & have a small piece.

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Wednesday June 10, 2009 10:38 AM

hpjmom, that is a 2" high cake, right?

I'm curious how you would cut that into 22 slices. -- How many rows by how many slices each? I can't do the geometry to make it come out even!

Report Violation

Bottom

Dustbunny
Posted: Wednesday June 10, 2009 2:39 PM

Thanks for the help!! I think I'll go with the 7 cups of batter and torte the cake.

Report Violation

Bottom

hpjmom
Posted: Wednesday June 10, 2009 9:08 PM

Honestly, I don't cut even slices. I just cut into the cake, so I've never cut it to see how many I get. But the 9 x 13 is about 1 1/2 mixes & one mix is approximately 15 slices. I know when I cut a 1-mix cake, I can get about 15 slices. I counted at one of my nephews birthdays. So I assume the 9 x 13 is about 22. If I had to cut it evenly, I'd probably cut it into 24 slices. Perhaps I should tell people that instead.

Yes, this is a 1-layer 2" high cake.

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Wednesday June 10, 2009 9:32 PM

I'm chuckling at that, hpjmom! "This cake serves 22, Customer, as long as you don't really want the pieces to be equal."

I think it would be fine to say "20 to 24 servings." That also makes it more obvious that it depends on how they slice them.

Report Violation

Bottom

saradars
Posted: Thursday June 11, 2009 7:51 AM

LOL- "real people servings". Isn't that the truth?! I LOVE cake...and could probably eat a whole double layer 6"!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: