skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: 9X13 cake
Created On Saturday May 23, 2009 7:50 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

murkywaters
Posted: Saturday May 23, 2009 7:50 PM

when baking do I need to do anything special to it to make it cook evenly? I normally have my temp set at 325 is that too low? can I use the cakepan strips? Do you tort these bigger cakes?? Can you do a double layer?

ummm basically any tips and info on big cakes would be great Thanks

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Saturday May 23, 2009 9:14 PM

I bake my 9x13" cakes at 350 (just as the Wilton chart says) although I know many others prefer 325. I use the even-baking strips and I also place an inverted metal flower nail in the center of the batter. (Now that Wilton has come out with plastic flower nails, I guess we'd better be specific when suggesting the flower nails for baking!) With the strips the cakes take longer than the chart suggests. I take the strips off the first time I check for doneness.

That pan takes 7 cups of batter. (That's about 1.5 cake mixes. I make two mixes and use the excess batter for cupcakes. Others prefer to extend a single cake mix by adding flour and sugar, etc. -- you can find the recipes for cake extender with a search.)

I almost never produce a cake without a filling. Generally I torte sheet cakes so that I have a 2-layer cake 2" high. If I need more cake I'll bake two and stack them for a 2-layer cake 4" high.

Report Violation

Bottom

murkywaters
Posted: Saturday May 23, 2009 10:35 PM

inverted flower nail? so the flat part is on the bottom of the pan?

thanks

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Saturday May 23, 2009 10:46 PM

Yes, platform side down, tip pointing up. Contact with the bottom of the pan and with the oven air above the batter warms the nail which in turn conducts heat to the surrounding batter. The nail speeds up baking in the center while the strips slow down baking at the edges, in an attempt to even out the rate at which the parts of the cake get done and prevent the dreaded dome in the middle!

Prepare you nail with the same spray or goop you use on your pan. Though, honestly, it's gonna come out of the cake just fine whether you grease it or not.

Report Violation

Bottom

murkywaters
Posted: Saturday May 23, 2009 11:04 PM

great thanks I'll definatly try that!!

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Sunday May 24, 2009 10:20 AM

I bake at 350 for all of my cakes. For the 9x13 specifically I will use a recipe extender so that I yield a little higher cake.

Report Violation

Bottom

MARIE J
Posted: Sunday May 24, 2009 2:54 PM

I'm with Jeanne - I bake mine @ 350 ofr 35-40 mins..

Report Violation

Bottom

murkywaters
Posted: Tuesday May 26, 2009 10:55 AM

well I did it at 335 LOL turned out awsome! used the nail and the strips and it was almost as flat as the bottom! thanks all

Report Violation

Bottom

Maranatha_Mark
Posted: Wednesday May 27, 2009 8:32 AM

What is a "flower nail", I have worked construction and have fair amount of carpentry experience, but I have not heard of a "flower nail".

Thanks,

Report Violation

Bottom

ladycatisadiva
Posted: Wednesday May 27, 2009 9:49 AM
View users profile

Maranatha_Mark, looks just like a regular nail, but the base, the nail head is much bigger, wider, and flat. It's used for the roses and other flowers and designs to be made using BC or RF.

It is also used a heating core (The Metal/Steel one) please don't use plastics in the oven. We place it flat side (the nail head) down with the sharp tip facing up out of the batter in the pan. It works perfectly. At times I have used as many as five in one pan, depending on how big the pan is. Like an 10x3 must get done in the middle, so we use metal flower nails as heating cores to conduct heat to the middle of the cake so it will be done.

Wilton makes one but it's big, bulky and a pain. The flower nails work beautifully.

Report Violation

Bottom

vthorse
Posted: Wednesday May 27, 2009 11:40 AM

Think "oversized" upholstery or sheetrock nail with a flat smooth top.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: