skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: How long will cookies stay fresh in the refrigerator?
Created On Monday May 18, 2009 12:34 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

angier80
Posted: Monday May 18, 2009 12:34 PM

I am having a bakesale in three weeks to make money for our wedding. I'm starting to make cookies now. I've got some already made in the freezer (made this past Friday). I'm afraid I won't have enough room in the freezer for everything I am going to sell. I was wondering how long they will keep fresh in the refrigerator?

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Monday May 18, 2009 3:59 PM

To keep baked cookies at their best, it is important to store them properly. Cookies should keep if you follow good storing practices.

Store soft and crisp cookies separately at room temperature to prevent changes in texture and flavor.

Keep soft cookies in airtight containers. If they begin to dry out, add a piece of apple or bread to the container to help them retain moisture.

If crisp cookies become soggy, heat undecorated cookies in oven set at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for 3 to 5 minutes.

Store cookies with sticky glazes, fragile decorations, and icings in single layers between sheets of waxed paper.

Bar cookies and brownies may be stored in their own baking pan. Cover with foil or plastic wrap when cool.

As a rule, crisp cookies freeze better than soft, moist cookies. Rich, buttery bar cookies and brownies are an exception to this rule since they freeze extremely well. Baked cookies can be frozen in airtight containers or freezer bags for up to three months. Meringue-based cookies do not freeze well and chocolate-dipped cookies may discolor if frozen. Thaw cookies and brownies unwrapped at room temperature.

So the question is, what type of cookies are you making? I would store once thoroughly cooled in either a plastic container or cake box. And add the bread slice to restore it's freshness and taste.

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Monday May 18, 2009 4:09 PM

Mmumsie has some good advice about storing at room temperature.

Cookies will keep as she describes as well (or better) than if they are in the refrigerator.

Now the critical questions is "how long will they keep fresh", right?

What kind of cookies are you making? Maybe someone with specific experience will share that.

Report Violation

Bottom

karen
Posted: Tuesday May 19, 2009 9:57 AM

I use the Wilton Roll out cookie receipe and a premade icing (similar to the Wilton Cookie icing).
I have found that using this recipe, I can bake and freeze my cookies and they will stay for at least a month (this is my preference). I'm sure they will keep longer. I don't ice the cookies giong into the freezer. When I bake and ice and INDIVIDUALLY bag my cookies, they stay nice and fresh for at least 2 weeks. (again, my freshness barometer). According to many websites, soft cookies are kept in something like Tupperware, while crisp cookies are kept in boxes or foil containers.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: