skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Milk, pudding, sour cream in cakes question
Created On Sunday May 17, 2009 8:51 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

bgiampa
Posted: Sunday May 17, 2009 8:51 AM

If I use a box cake recipe and add milk and pudding or even sour cream, does the cake itself have to be refrigerated when it is done since it contains those ingredients or can it sit out at room temperature. Thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Sunday May 17, 2009 9:30 AM

Rule of thumb: anything that is not fully cooked , that is perishable.....should be refrigerated. Dairy products in the RAW need refrigeration.

So for example: A whipped cream icing has heavy whipping cream in it. You do not cook (or heat) the cream you simply dump it in your mixing bowl (along with the other ingredients) and mix. From there it goes right on the cake. Heavy whipping cream needs refrigeration.

Ganache: ganache is heavy whipping cream and chocolate heated over a double boiler. Chocolate, of course, has allot of sugar in it PLUS you are heating it. This can sit out at room temp frosted on a cake.

Another rule of thumb: ratio of sugars to milk. Sugars are a preservative when used in vast quantities. So say you are making a batch of buttercream and instead of using water for your liquids you decide to use milk. You are only using a few tablespoons of milk compared to 2 full pounds of powdered sugar.

So with what you asked.........yes you will be just fine leaving it sit out at room temp because you are gonna bake the cake with those ingredients.

Happy Baking!
Bunnywoman

Report Violation

Bottom

bgiampa
Posted: Sunday May 17, 2009 10:39 AM

Thanks so much for the great answer. It is very helpful!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

Tracey1970
Posted: Monday May 18, 2009 8:02 PM

I make a variation of the White Almond Sour Cream cake (recipe on Cake Central) all the time. I never worry about refrigerating it after it's cooked. Never had a problem.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: