skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Storing Candy Melts
Created On Saturday May 09, 2009 11:48 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

athamegirl
Posted: Saturday May 09, 2009 11:48 AM

I make chocolates on an irregular basis and often have left over candy melts. What is the best way to store them, and how long do they keep for? I know they don't last forever, and I would like to know how quickly I need to use them up. Is there a place I can find storage information on Wilton Candy Melts and for storing premade chocolates?

Thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Saturday May 09, 2009 12:31 PM

Here is a response from Wilton that has been posted several times:

Basically Candy Melts are at their freshest 18 months after date of production. They are still okay after that but might be harder to melt and are not at their freshest - but still edible.

Here is how you read the 5 digit number in the front of the bag to know their production date: Say your bag has this number "53304" stamped on the front.

The 1st digit "5" is the production number.
The 2nd digit "3" is the produced year - so it's '2003'.
The next 3 digits "304" tell you the Julian Calendar date (or basically, the year's day number, there's 365 days in a year) - in this instance October 31st.

Store in a cool dry place, preferably in an airtight container. Do not refrigerate.

I keep mine in a Rubbermaid storage container -- both bags of Candy Melts and also leftovers (in zip bags). I have printed out the shelf life information and have it taped inside the cover of that box, because I sure can't remember it from one time to the next.

I buy black candy melts every fall, when they are available for vampires and bats, knowing they will be good for the entire year.

Molded candy has essentially the same storage requirements.

Report Violation

Bottom

athamegirl
Posted: Sunday May 10, 2009 10:04 AM

Thanks very much! This is exactly what I was looking for!

Report Violation

Bottom

MARIE J
Posted: Sunday May 10, 2009 5:59 PM

I agree with Jeanne G - I store mine in Rubbermaid totes as well.

I didn't realise how the expirations date coding worked though - thanks Jeanne - probably 'cause mine's never there long enough - hahaha !!!

Report Violation

Bottom

beckthewreck
Posted: Sunday May 10, 2009 7:55 PM
View users profile

So... Is it bad if I keep mine in the freezer?

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Sunday May 10, 2009 8:07 PM

The freezer is not the recommended storage media. Do you buy more than 18 months worth at a time? Or is your house too warm? Actually, melting or getting soft and then re-hardening doesn't hurt the product. That is what it is designed for. Keeping it in a cool place is more important for the finished candies.

Report Violation

Bottom

beckthewreck
Posted: Sunday May 10, 2009 10:28 PM
View users profile

Well cool. That will free up some freezer space
I'm not sure why I put it in there. Perhaps because my mother and grandmother store their chocolate chips in the freezer? I leave nuts in there too because I don't want them to go bad.
It sure doesn't last 18 months in my house, so I guess a cupboard or drawer isn't a bad idea.
Thanks for the info!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: