skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: Nurse cap
peggysue415 05/05/2009 3:17 PM
I need to make a nurse's cap out of fondant and have searched the web for information. We found some sites where you can make a paper hat but they looked really dumb. Has anyone ever made a nurses cap out of fondant or gumpaste? I would love any suggestions on how to do this. Thanks and have a good one.
cupcake_123 05/06/2009 5:28 AM
I haven't made a fondant or gumpaste nurse's hat before, but there is a template for a paper one at

http://sewing.about.com/library/nnurse.htm

You could make a gumpaste one with the template and support it with small pieces of foam or paper towel until the gumpaste hardened. The only problem I would foresee is if it was to be quite a large hat then it might be just too floppy to support well.

Alternatively, carve some cake so that it's a kind of wedge shape but rounded a bit at the edges. This would give you the wedge shape of the main part of the hat (see webpage below).

http://alumnibulletin.med.harvard.edu/bulletin/autumn2007/4a.php

Either crumb coat it and cover it with a layer of fondant to match your main cake, or cover it in buttercream to match your main cake. Then lay on three strips of white fondant to look like the folded section. Then cut a rectangle to make the piece of the hat with the stripe that goes around the sides and front.
pearldust 05/06/2009 10:57 AM
How big does your hat need to be? I made one out of gum paste using the template found online. It actually went together fairly easy, (considering you're working with a floppy piece of gum paste ) I was careful not to roll it too thin, and supported it with cotton, putting a fan on it to dry it quickly. However the drawback is that it was fairly small, about 4 1/2 inches across. I put a very pretty "Nurse's Prayer" poem on the cake, which took up a lot of room, so my hat didn't need to be very big. I agree, most of the hats patterns I found on-line looked ridiculous, so I used a picture of a real nurses hat to modify the one I was making. Good luck and let us know if you find something better!
peggysue415 05/06/2009 1:43 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm taking the easy way out and bought a nurse costume and will use the hat in the kit. I don't post photos of my cakes because I don't feel they measure up to the ones I see on this site. You folks are soooooooooo talented. Have a good one.