skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: can you put flowers on whipped cream iced cakes...which kind?
Created On Saturday May 02, 2009 12:22 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Katmomsta
Posted: Saturday May 02, 2009 12:22 PM

I have this other question going on below about how to attach royal icing flowers to a cake. To recap, a bride ordered two dozen flowers (violets and pansies) from me, but not the cake. She is making the cake. She wants to be able to just stick them in the cake herself. I don't want to use wires, but by reading on here, it looks like if I use the little plastic inserts or floral tape, and they pull them all out before serving, I should be ok with the wires.
Now, by biggest problem is that she told me the icing will be whipped cream. I have heard that whipped cream icing would dissolve a royal icing flower and that a gum paste or fondant flower would be so heavy against whipped cream that it would make a mess or something???

Thanks to everyone on the forum..I am new to the forum and fairly new to cake decorating...you are all very smart and very helpful!

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Saturday May 02, 2009 12:47 PM

Hhhm. Whipped cream icing....I have placed RI flowers on Wilton's Vanilla Whipped Icing when mixed. Pansies and violets are small and light weight, they should do fine, but I would place the flowers on the cake as close to the reception as possible. I would recommend you talk her out of the wires, after all. Good luck!

Report Violation

Bottom

Katmomsta
Posted: Saturday May 02, 2009 1:01 PM

oh mmusie..to my resuce again, thanks
so they ri flowers don't dissolve on whipped icing?

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Saturday May 02, 2009 6:11 PM

I've use them for family party long ago, but I don't remember them dissolving or even getting soft. I really don't remember the particulars, but I would imagine I decorated the night before the event.

I may have even piped more whipped icing or buttercream below them to make green leaves for them to sit on. Do you have any royal icing flowers to test it on? Set it on some BC or whipped cream icing and see how long it takes to get mushy. I would suspect a long time. I guess my cakes don't last that long!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: