skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: How to attach flowers with wire stems on cake
Created On Friday May 01, 2009 7:10 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

riverchild
Posted: Friday May 01, 2009 7:10 PM

I did a search on this and could not find the answer I am looking for. When attaching flowers with a wire stem covered in cloth floral tape what is the proper/safe way to do this? I am either going to use gumpaste roses (if they turn out pretty enough) or an artificial flower.

If I use an artificial flower, it's made of paper but looks very real, will it be okay to lay it on buttercream icing after it is crusted over?

Report Violation

Bottom

riverchild
Posted: Saturday May 02, 2009 9:54 AM

I guess I should have written my topic heading as a question. How DO I attach flowers with wire stems on cake? Please help.

Report Violation

Bottom

Katmomsta
Posted: Saturday May 02, 2009 10:10 AM

beanie, I asked a question similar to this yesterday about putting royal icing flowers like violets and pansies on a cake... and so far I was told to make a small loop in the wire, tape it to your template and make the flower of top of it. I am waiting for my first one to dry to see how well it works. I still put the waxed paper between the template and the wire. It look like it might work. Then I will cover it in floral tape. That same person suggested gum paste flowers, like you said. I might try one today.
One answer was also to just use icing to attach them to the cake, putting no wires on them at all.
I also saw a website that sold little plastic sheaths that you place in the cake and then set the wire into..but not sure why plastic is that much safer than wire...I kind of wanted the flowers to be totally edible...
let me know how it goes and I will do the same.

Report Violation

Bottom

riverchild
Posted: Saturday May 02, 2009 11:31 AM

I guess what I'm asking is, do I just stick the wire in the cake, lay it on top or what? I saw where you can get the inserts for fresh flowers. Is it safe to use the cloth covered wire and just stick the flower in the cake?

Report Violation

Bottom

Katmomsta
Posted: Saturday May 02, 2009 11:46 AM

I cut and pasted this from a question in 2007 - hope that's legal. I hope it helps both of us

IMPORTANT FOR WIRE DECORATIONS!!! Do not push the wires into the cake/fondant!!! For the bows and roses I pushed the wires (trimmed in the case of the roses and leaves) into a cone of gumpaste attached to the surface of the cake with a small amount of royal icing. I have also used flower spikes to hold upright flower arrangements, like a posey (it's a plastic hollow cone that you push into the cake for real or artificial flowers). The wires aren't really toxic, but you don't want them to be cut by accident and some one eats a piece of wire. It could be really dangerous (it happened at least once in Australia). To be completely safe, I would take off the flowers/decorations before cutting. Also, if it is in a separate piece, the decorations can be saved. If the flowers are wired together in a flat kind of arrangement, they can be attached to the top with a small drop of royal icing to keep them in place.

Report Violation

Bottom

Katmomsta
Posted: Saturday May 02, 2009 11:50 AM

Floral wire is okay for support for non edible decorations. Be careful not to stick the wiring into your cake directly. They are not food safe. If they require to be stuck into the cake either use flower spikes or plastic straw to hold, so the wire doesn't touch the cake, cut through the cake, or touch any parts that are to be consumed.

this is another cut and paste from mmusie last year...I think mmusie is pretty experienced

Report Violation

Bottom

hpjmom
Posted: Saturday May 02, 2009 7:26 PM

I have seen many cakes by "famous" cake decorators (like Colette Peters & Duff Goldman) & they stick the wires directly into the cake. I used to worry about this A LOT & refused to do cakes with wires. Then I had to do a 4-tiered cake with a rose cascade & about 100 flowers. It's impossible to do that without sticking the wires directly into the cake. I tried to use toothpicks, but they left way too large a hole in the cake. I took a wire & tested it to see if it tasted & it did not, so I wasn't worried about the metal flavoring the cake. And a large cascade is impossible to do with straws & flower spikes. I'm attaching a picture of my cake. I used 24 gauge white covered wire.

DSC004712.JPG DSC004712.JPG  (109 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

riverchild
Posted: Saturday May 02, 2009 7:47 PM

Thank you so much hpjmom! I have been stressing on what to do about this. I tried my hand at gumpaste flowers and I'm just not going to have the time to do them before I need them this coming weekend. So I have decided to use some beautiful artificial flowers I found. I'm going to attach the wire, covered with cloth tape and just stick it in the cake as I need to. Thanks again!

Report Violation

Bottom

myna102
Posted: Saturday May 02, 2009 8:19 PM

beanie where do you live

Report Violation

Bottom

riverchild
Posted: Saturday May 02, 2009 8:22 PM

I live in a little town called Ailey in Georgia. It is about an hour and a half from Macon.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: