skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: Gum paste has cracks in it when it dries
judahsma 04/18/2009 3:10 PM
I just started messing around with gum paste. I'm making animals figures (trying!) and even though it looks ok when I'm working with it, as it dries there are cracks in it. I used the Wilton gum paste mix and it was super sticky, so I worked in a little bit of cornstarch to try to get the consistency it indicates. Has anyone else had this problem? Are the cracks from the cornstarch or am I doing something wrong? It didn't seem to be too dry as it was still slightly sticky while I was working with it. Any ideas? Thanks!
myna102 04/18/2009 5:09 PM
you're using the reciepe on the back of the gum paste can, mine doesn't call for cornstarch, gumpaste dries fast, i like fondant better it is so delicate, my roses crack if i'm not really careful when i touch, did you put the glucose in? i've cut out shapes in gumpaste and wasn't happy with them, if were to use them again i think i would put them on the cake right after making them. i made heart shapes, circles, and i had to try and file them with an acrylic nail file. it worked on the roses, but the shapes turn so hard and not plyabile sp. i made little dots for a cake and they worked. it's nice for bows that set up quick. did you use crisco while working with it. i know someone will know more i taught myself on gumpaste and fondant, and love the mm fondant, really inexpensive. you bought it ready made from wilton? maybe there was something wrong with it, it shouldn't be mushy, the shapes i make i just didin't like looked to stiff.
mmumsie 04/18/2009 5:55 PM
Grease your hands and the gum paste with a light coating of veg. shortening and knead through, while working. Gum paste does dry fairly quickly, so cover the unused portion with plastic wrap to prevent it from drying. If you feel Wilton's brand is too dry, you may wish to try Bakel brand. http://slice-heaven.com/store/show/77-222
judahsma 04/21/2009 7:47 AM
I did use the recipe on the back of the can, but it came out super sticky....like so sticky that I could not get it off my hands or anything else it came in contact with. I can't remember what site it was, but I watched a tutorial on how to make figures using gum paste online. The person said to dust your work surface & hands with cornstarch if the gum paste was sticking, so that's what I did. I don't know if I used too much or what, but it's cracking when it dries now. I'll try using crisco on my hands instead of the cornstarch. Also, I think I might buy a bag of pre-made gum paste so that I can see exactly what it's supposed to feel like. Thanks!
myna102 04/21/2009 10:44 AM
i'v been making both i like fondant better, you do have to grease you hand very well, and if you're doing it on a counter grease that, it is sticky but keeping crisco you hands gum paste both are very sticky, i made a mistake with my fondant and i've made alot of batches of both and forgot to grease my hands and i so know what you mean, i tried to get it off one finger at a time didn't work, that didn't work, i live alone, and i tried picking up the bag of con it stuck to my hands, what a mess it's funny know. i do like the gum paste but they are so fragile, i've broke quite a few. but i use the reciepe on the back of the wilton gum paste can, and it works really well for me.when you are cutting out your petals take a freezer bag and flit it down the side i put my pedals in there and they stay fresh i usually work with 3 at a time
mmumsie 04/21/2009 1:26 PM
The premade Wilton gum paste is a lot drier than the Bakel brand. I generally like to combine the two for the consistency I like. But, if it's drying and cracking, you must work quickly and cover when not using.