skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: 2 piece candy molds
Created On Monday April 06, 2009 2:25 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

joey1972
Posted: Monday April 06, 2009 2:25 PM

i have 2 2 piece bunny molds. i thought they snapped together to make one solid piece but you have to connect the 2 pieces somehow. how do i do that?

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Monday April 06, 2009 3:16 PM

It would be better to help you, if we could see a picture. There are two piece bunny molds out there. Is the one you have, like that? Are they mirror opposites?

My 3D candy molds have a little button (male and female) that helps the two piece snap together. Like this. If yours doesn't have that, then it might simply be just 2D mold.

candy mold clasp.jpg candy mold clasp.jpg  (38 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

joey1972
Posted: Monday April 06, 2009 3:24 PM

they have a front side and a backside but they dont snap together. there are two dots on the front of them and 2 bigger holes on the back which led me to believe they snapped together but if you put them together there is no hole to pour the choc through.

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Monday April 06, 2009 3:42 PM

I have some that don't have a pouring hole, some do. First thing you need to do is trim around both chocolate molds to about ½ to 1 inch. You will need some type of clips to hold your candy molds together while the chocolate is hardening. Some chocolate molds have a snap together method, but I trim those just outside the snap rim and still use the clips for security.

HOLLOWING: Now fill the back chocolate mold with chocolate and clip the top chocolate mold to it. Rotate the chocolate mold until the entire item is coated, tapping gently on all sides to make sure there are no bubbles. Place in refrigerator for about 5 minutes (freezer is not recommended). Then rotate to another position, shaking chocolate molds as you turn them.

Repeat every 5 minutes rotating to a new position. The last position should be standing up. You want to make sure it is not top heavy. After 10 or 15 minutes depending on the size of your item remove from refrigerator and carefully remove the chocolate mold laying it on a soft surface.

Try not to touch the item too much, as it will show fingerprints. Remember hollowed chocolates are fragile.

Now if you want to detail the hollow item, this can be a little tricky. Paint in the colors you want. Make sure it is thick. Place in refrigerator a few minutes. Then with a paintbrush, cover the back of the colored areas with the main chocolate you are planning to finish your item in (usually milk chocolate). Give it a good thick coat so the colors won't run when you pour in your last chocolate.. Refrigerate a few minutes and proceed as above. Try to keep your chocolate on the cooler side so it won't melt the chocolate underneath. This again takes practice.

Let me know if you are doing a solid piece and I'll give you those instructions. Good Luck

Report Violation

Bottom

joey1972
Posted: Monday April 06, 2009 4:44 PM

i am trying to make solid. i dont know how to hold the 2 pieces together once i melted the chocolate and set it

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Monday April 06, 2009 4:48 PM

I've done some solid candies with two piece molds, by making one half and removing it from the mold. Then pour the melted chocolate into the other half. Place the finished half on top of the melted chocolate, lining it up carefully with the edges of the mold cavity. Chill. When the second half is firm, unmold, and there you have it ... a full 3-D candy!

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Monday April 06, 2009 4:53 PM

There are several ways. I find this the easiest. Fill one of two candy molds with chocolate to just below the rim. Tap to remove the bubbles and place in refrigerator until set. (about 5 minutes) Invert the mold to remove the candy from the mold.

Fill the other candy mold not quite (about 3/4 full) to the top of the mold. Tap to remove air bubbles. Place the finished half on top of the chocolate mold you just created. Refrigerate. They should stick together.

Report Violation

Bottom

joey1972
Posted: Monday April 06, 2009 4:58 PM

thank you very much jeanne! i thought it was going to be like glued together or something.

Report Violation

Bottom

joey1972
Posted: Monday April 06, 2009 5:00 PM

thank you mmumsie! i didnt know why i thought it would be much harder than it really is. thanks to all who responded

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: