skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: food safety and buttercream?
Created On Monday April 06, 2009 8:27 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

wilson_court
Posted: Monday April 06, 2009 8:27 AM

I am new to cake decorating. I am trying to get this all down before my daughter's B-day in July where I will attempt to do cupcakes with the faces of Sesame street characters. My first question is: how long can buttercream icing made with butter, sugar, and milk stay out of the fridge? What about swiss buttercream made with egg whites?

Thanks for any help you can give. I'm sure I will have more questions later.

Report Violation

Bottom

sugarysweets
Posted: Monday April 06, 2009 8:29 AM

Reagular buttercream icing made with sugar, butter, and milk can saty in the fridge up to a week sealed in an air tight bag or container

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Monday April 06, 2009 8:42 AM

Wilton has a useful chart, here:

http://www.wilton.com/cake/icing/icingchart.cfm

As you can see from the chart, uncooked buttercream frostings, also known as American buttercream or Decortaor buttercream, are fine for a few days at room temperature -- for about as long as the cake stays fresh. So once you decorate the cake you don't need to worry about refrigerating it.

If you make the frosting ahead or have some leftover, tightly cover it and store it in the fridge for up to two weeks.

Buttercream made with all butter is less stable than buttercream made with part shortening and part butter, or with all shortening.

I believe that Swiss buttercream and Italian buttercream are less tolerant of sitting at room temperature for a few days, but I'll bet someone who uses those recipes will post and give you their input.

Good luck ... and start practicing!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: