skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: greasy cupcake liners
Created On Sunday December 21, 2008 1:00 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

preetscake
Posted: Friday December 12, 2008 8:36 AM

Hi again everyone...Whenever I bake chocolate cupcakes,the liners turn so dark and kind of greasy and it's hard to see the actual design on cupcake liners..does it happen to everyone,or I'm doing somethg wrong? It's not as bad with yellow or whote cupcakes,but any dark cupcakes make the design almost disappear..In the books,you can see those nice liners alongwith the decorated cupcakes..how do they manage that?Any help and sugestion is greatly appreciated.
preetscake.

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Friday December 12, 2008 8:46 AM

I've given up on those cutesy cupcake liners. I have bought more expensive decorative liners that do hold up to chocolate batter, but Wilton's liners and the ones sold in grocery stores ... nope, they just don't work. I, too, wonder how food stylists get them looking good for photographs.

Report Violation

Bottom

dillonsmimi
Posted: Friday December 12, 2008 3:47 PM

I use a water bath and it helps quite a bit.

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetsbymemaw
Posted: Monday December 15, 2008 10:36 AM

I think I remember reading somewhere, or maybe seeing it on a show, that food stylests add another cupcake cup to the ourside of the cake after baking. I think it would be good to use plain liners for baking then add the decorative ones afterward for service or display.

Memaw

Report Violation

Bottom

karen
Posted: Monday December 15, 2008 10:43 AM

Dillonsmimi: What is a water bath and how does that relate to cupcake liners?????

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Thursday December 18, 2008 8:38 AM

I did chocolate cupcakes yesterday. For my purposes I didn't care if the presentation wasn't photo-perfect and I just used plain white liners. I did experiment a little.

A few of them were doubled (by accident). Yes, baking the batter in two liners improves the appearance but to me it looked like an accident waiting to happen. The outer liner separates and I could imagine someone picking up the cupcake and thinking they had a good hold on it when in fact they'd only grabbed the outer liner. (I'd rather pay double for decent liners in the first place, than have to use 2.)

I dug out a few decorative liners and tried sitting the baked cupcake in them. That was pretty funny ... the decorative liners where not as deep as the white ones I used, by about 1/2 inch. And, of course, the pleats didn't match up so it wasn't a really good fit.

Sigh. I wish Wilton sold some "deluxe" decorative liners as well as the inexpensive ones. I wouldn't expect a large range of seasonal designs or licensed characters, etc., but some all-purpose designs, like polka dots and swirls in brights and pastels would be good!

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Friday December 19, 2008 8:30 AM
View users profile

Karen,

A water bath is a method of baking. I've never done it with cupcakes, but I wouldn't bake a cheesecake without one. You take a baking pan larger than the pan you're baking in. In this case, it would have to be larger than the cupcake pan. Place the baking pan inside the larger pan and add water to about 1/3 of the way up the sides of the baking pan. Much higher than that and you risk boiling water splashing into your batter/cake. When I use it for cheesecake I always double wrap the cheesecake pan with heavy duty aluminum foil to prevent seepage into the springform pan. The water bath, or bain-marie, makes the cheesecake nice and creamy. For cupcakes, I'm less sure of the benefit because I've never done them that way.
Dillonsmimi, can you educate us on that one? Perhaps the liner doesn't stick as readily to the baked cupcakes because of the water bath?

Report Violation

Bottom

preetscake
Posted: Sunday December 21, 2008 1:00 PM

I totally agree with JeanneG....I have tried baking them in 2 liners and also tried to put them in another clean liner after baking..both methods are useless. The only thing that can work is good quality liners for one use..I too really wish Wilton made somethg such as heavy duty cupcake liners..atleast in a few colors or basic prints like JeanneG said...I would not even mind paying a buck or two extra.....
preetscake.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: