skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Larger tips/large coupler problem
Created On Monday December 08, 2008 10:34 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

mikej
Posted: Saturday December 06, 2008 11:36 AM

Hello all -

New to cake decorating and have a problem with large tips/couplers.

I bought a couple larger tips for making large swirls (Wilton 1M, Ateco 132-star). The woman at the cake store sold me the large coupler to use for these. (I hope this is the right terminology)! I fit the base inside the bag, no problem, then put the tip on (which doesn't seem to be quite wide enough to fit over the base). Then when I screw on the ring - the #132 tip literally falls right through it. The 1M does not fall through the ring, but it "wiggles" back and forth. I can't seem to make it a "tight fit" like I can with the standard tips/couplers.

Am I doing something wrong - or. I know these tips cannot fit into the standard-sized couplers. I end up just not using the couplers and putting them directly in the bags. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mike

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Saturday December 06, 2008 8:50 PM

I can just confirm what you have already discovered: The 1M tip fits into the large coupler. There are some tips that do not work with either the regular or large coupler.

If the 1M wobbles a lit that is probably not a problem -- as you are forcing frosting through it it will most likely behave itself.

The coupler is very handy if you want to switch tips during decorating, assuming you are switching among the same size tips. But it isn't necessary if you don't need to change tips while the bag is full. I have several large couplers but I seldom use them. Most of the time I just put that tip in the bag without a coupler. And, of course, that is what you must do with those irregular sized tips that don't fit either coupler.

Good luck!

Report Violation

Bottom

hpjmom

I have never used a coupler with large tips like these. I have a couple of bags with holes cut just for these tips.

Report Violation

Bottom

beckthewreck
View users profile

Personally, I don't use couples with the bigger tips. I just put the tip straight in the bag.

Report Violation

Bottom

peg

The little wiggle will stop when you put icing in the bag, the pressure of the icing will hold it still

The tip 132 is a smaller tip and you either need to use it with a small coupler or a bag cut just for it. You can also put a small coupler onto the large coupler, buy unscrewing both couplers and then fitting the small one on to the large one just like a tip screwing the ring around the sm coupler then adding a small tip with the ring from the small coupler.

Gee i hope that makes sense

Report Violation

Bottom

mikej
Posted: Sunday December 07, 2008 8:10 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions and help! I wonder why she sold me the large coupler then... hmm... these are great tips - thanks again!

Mike

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Monday December 08, 2008 10:34 AM

Mike, salespeople are trained to sell.

Actually, some people prefer to always use a coupler, and maybe she is one of them. Or maybe she isn't a decorator at all and was just going by what she was told, without knowing the exceptions.

Couplers are very, very useful in most situations. They are just not often as useful for the larger tips.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: