skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: liquid vs paste food coloring conversion
Created On Friday December 05, 2008 9:10 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

bharrelson63
Posted: Thursday December 04, 2008 9:08 AM

I will be making a Red Velvet Cake this weekend and, for the first time, will be using a paste food coloring instead of the liquid. Can anyone tell me a reliable conversion ratio "rule of thumb" so I still get the correct amount of color in the mixture? In other words, for a teaspoon (just an example) of liquid food coloring, how much paste should be used instead? Half as much? One third as much?

Also, the coloring I purchased said it is for paste food coloring for icing. Is that suitable for use in a cake batter? Thank you to anyone who can help me!!

Report Violation

Bottom

hpjmom
Posted: Thursday December 04, 2008 8:37 PM

I'm not sure using paste colors will work the same as using the liquid food color. The liquid food color adds liquid & I think a little bit of oil to the cake & the paste will not.

Report Violation

Bottom

bharrelson63
Posted: Friday December 05, 2008 8:40 AM

You're right, the paste will not add liquid to the cake batter. In this case, that's a good thing. I want to add pigment to the cake batter without too much extra liquid to dilute the consistency. My only challenge is this: the recipe calls for 2 tablespoons of liquid food coloring, but I don't know how much paste food coloring the achieve equivalent color in the cake. I need some sort of formula to ensure I get the correct ratio. If anyone can help, that will be great. Otherwise, I'll be forging ahead to figure it out myself when I bake the cake this weekend.

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Friday December 05, 2008 9:10 AM

Personally, I agree with hpjmom. The paste color is very concentrated and also can impart a bitter flavor if used in quantity. If you are using a red velvet cake recipe it counts on the liquid of the color.

I would simply buy a bottle of red food coloring at the grocery store and make the recipe as directed. I'd save my more expensive paste for decorating.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: