skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Fondant issues
Created On Tuesday October 28, 2008 3:50 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

katiemarie
Posted: Friday October 24, 2008 9:12 AM

ok so i make my first cake with fondant last weekend. well in pictures it didn't look too bad. but i saw every flaw that there was. i didn't find it as easy to work with hat everyone else has. i rolled it out the size and thickness that was needed and when i put the fondant on the cake the sides all the way around at the bottom buckled and wavy. i tried this three times before i gave up and cut it and just mended what i could and placed the really bad parts in the back so no one would see it. if you have any advise please help me. i like the way it looks and i want to use it more but if it is going to be that difficult then it must not be me. as for the marshmallow fondant, i followed the everything right and i never could get it to stretch like i had read everyone else did that i read. i made it 5 different times. i just don't know what to do. when i pulled on it, it would break apart but it would stick when rolled out with cornstarch sprinkled under it. HELP!!! someone please. if you want to e-mail me you can.

mckean.katie@yahoo.com

Report Violation

Bottom

Tracey1970
Posted: Friday October 24, 2008 4:05 PM

My first bit of advice is to buy Sugarshack's DVD (Sharon Zambito) called Flawless Fondant. I have it (I do not know her and am not trying to sell anything for her) and love it.

Second, the trick to getting fondant to stop buckling is to "pet" it downwards around the side of the cake (I use my hands), pulling out the bottom of it (where the fondant meets the cake board) at the same time you are smoothing it GENTLY downward (so it won't rip and tear). So smooth downward along the sides, pulling out the fondant around the bottom as you go. It takes me many, many times around the cake to have the fondant the way I like it. Then, I take a pizza cutter and trim off the excess fondant around the bottom.

Report Violation

Bottom

beckthewreck
Posted: Sunday October 26, 2008 8:48 PM
View users profile

I don't know if this will help or not, but this is what I do.
I place the frosted cake (with cake board trimmed to size of cake) on top of a can. Crisco cans are a good size. I then carefully drape the fondant over that and let gravity help me a little. When I smooth it down on the sides, I use the big thick pink sponge-like thing that is made by Wilton. I never use my fingers as that would leave marks. I start at the top and slowly work around and around gradually making my way to the bottom. If the fondant is too long, I will cut it back with a knife or pizza cutter so it doesn't break and make ugly marks before I smooth it all the way down.
As for using the cornstarch when rolling it out, I've also used crisco. It depends on the humidity sometimes. One day one works better than the other. Just try the other if one isn't working.
Hope this helps!

Report Violation

Bottom

katiemarie
Posted: Monday October 27, 2008 9:06 AM

thank you all so much for your help and advise. what i have noticed is all of you have pretty much told me the samething as to how to smooth it out. here is another question. when i went to place the fondant i did all the same things that you have told me to do and it still buckles and there is too much not in length but in diamiter so it buckles like a table cloth. i don't know if i am not rolling it out enough or if i'm doing to much? i will try it again and we wil have to see how this works. i will let you know how it goes.

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Monday October 27, 2008 3:48 PM

Katiemarie,
If you notice the fondant is starting to fold or "buckle" as you called it, gently pull it away from the sides of the cake. This will help it to stretch. I like to use a fondant smoother tool. Prevents finger marks in the fondant. Trim the excess. Again press the fondant against the cake. If it starts to fold, pull away. Repeat as many times as necessary.

I have let gravity help as beckthewreck suggested. But when I do that I found myself cutting the excess too short. I like placing it on the table first to drape and the first trim, then I like to raise the cake to finish attaching the fondant. Good luck and don't give up!

Report Violation

Bottom

Tracey1970
Posted: Monday October 27, 2008 4:03 PM

There is supposed to be some "extra" fondant around the base of the cake. If you roll it out just a bit larger than you need and then place it on the cake, the natural hanging (gravity) and "petting" of the fondant will cause it to pool at the base of the cake. Continuing to smooth around and around the cake, from top to bottom along the sides will help, as will continuously pulling out the excess fondant from the cake and re-settling it until it's smooth. I find that if I have too heavy a pool of fondant at the base of the cake, I do take my pizza cutter and carefully trim away some of it because it can cause tearing and make the cake awkward to rotate and continue smoothing. Just don't cut it too close to the cake until you have it all smoothed, or you might end up short in places.

Report Violation

Bottom

valeriewithtlc
Posted: Monday October 27, 2008 4:07 PM

Are you using piping gel to attach it?

Report Violation

Bottom

katiemarie
Posted: Tuesday October 28, 2008 8:18 AM

yeas i am. on the cake i did i ended up having to cut a V shape in the bottom of it and then fit it together because the fondant wouldn't strech. if i pulled on it then at the top of the cake around the edges it would start to break apart. i will keep trying. i'm not one to give up.

Report Violation

Bottom

Tracey1970
Posted: Tuesday October 28, 2008 3:50 PM

I also roll out my fondant on a mat coated thinly with shortening versus cornstarch (or anything powdered). It makes the fondant a bit more "moist" and I find it less apt to tear.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: