skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: candy melt problems
Created On Friday September 12, 2008 7:23 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

marymakescakes
Posted: Thursday September 11, 2008 5:01 PM

I am not new to using candy melts, but recently I've experienced a problem with some of them...as per instructions for melting in the microwave, some batches of candy melts have been hardening like clay, instead of softening? I do it exactly as I'm supposed to, but they are not melting to a consistency where I can pour or brush paint with and I don't why or what I can do to bring them to the proper consistency to use? Any ideas or knowledge would be much appreciated.

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Friday September 12, 2008 7:04 AM

Are you doing it in a plastic decorating bag or a bowl? Could there be any hint of water or moisture in the container? Are you adding any food color? If so, what kind? Are you adding flavoring of any kind? Are you using half power?

Report Violation

Bottom

tanishascakes

I wonder if the chocolates are old or outdated not sure if that would cause this problem though. Also a little bit of water will seize the chocolate up. Also I have had the pleasure of experiencing overheating my chocolate and it is a big blob of burnt chocolate that you can't do nothing with. Also I have heard that you can add cocoa butter to chocolate to make it more creamy. You can get that at a cake or candy supply store it usually comes in a bar and you heat it up with the chocolate but not sure how much to add to chocolate! Hope this all helps!

Report Violation

Bottom

mkljdc3

I have found that if the melts get more than a few months old that they do not melt anymore, but just congeal when heated. When I talked to the business where I buy my melts(I use Merkens), she said that it is not unusual for that to happen past 3 months old. You can try to add some shortening, but the consistency is not quite the same. If you just purchased them, maybe you can return them to the store.

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Friday September 12, 2008 7:23 AM

Sounds like it's heating them up too fast. Try the double boiler method. I prefer it to the microwave. Boil water in bottom portion of double boiler, remove from heat. Put top of boiler over water. Water should not touch bottom of pan. Place cut up wafers and place in top boiler, 1 cup at a time. Be careful not to get water in your melts. It turns it grainy.

If my memory serves me correctly, I believe you can add a little veg shortening, paramount crystals or cocoa butter to thin.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: