skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Thawing a frozen cake.
Created On Wednesday June 18, 2008 8:10 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

peblesboop
Posted: Thursday June 05, 2008 3:51 PM

Iam interested in finding out how long does it take for a cake to thaw out in the refidgerator. I have a sweet sixteen this saturday evening and I am making a 3 tier cake (2)12",( 2)8" squares and (1) 6" round. I'm wondering if I can bake them today filled them, crumb coat and freez them or should i just make them tomorrow evening fill and crumb coat and refidgerate. If I do freeze tonight do I take it out tomorrow and place in fridge to thaw out until saturday afternoon or can I wait until saturday morning to thaw out in fridge. I have never frozen a cake in all the years I have been baking, but saturday the temperature is suppose to raise into the 90's here in new york and I don't have AC in my home nor in my car. will be transporting the cake 2 hours away from my home. I have decided to decorate ( borders and sea shells) when I get to the hall, but will frost at home first. is this a good idea? Please anyone help!!!!!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Friday June 06, 2008 8:07 AM

For a party on Saturday, you can bake the cake on Thursday or Friday, cool, fill, and crumbcoat and then leave it at room temperature (assuming that the filling isn't perishable) until you have time to frost and decorate it.

I would neither freeze nor refrigerate this cake (unless I was using a pudding or custard filling, etc.)

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Friday June 06, 2008 8:07 AM
View users profile

It's not a good idea to transport the cake already stacked, especially if you won't have A/C in the car. You're better off assembling it when you get there. For a Sat. event, I usually bake ahead of time, like on Monday and freeze the cakes until Thurs. when they come out. While they're still frozen, they get situated on their boards, filled and crumb coated and then loosely wrapped with plastic wrap to be put in the frig. overnite until Friday. Then on Friday, put the final coat on and decorate as much as you can until delivery on Sat. If you have no A/C, I hope you can deliver it earlier in the day instead of when the outside temp will be hotter. Cakes really don't take that long to thaw out.....maybe an hour or two.

Report Violation

Bottom

peblesboop
Posted: Monday June 16, 2008 8:54 AM

Sorry it has taken me a while to respond to your advise. Well first let me start by saying thank you for the advise. the cake came out beautiful, even thought I had some unfortunate complications with it. The day of the party the temperture reach 95 degree and I had no air conditioning when I got to the party all the icing had melted off all three layer. what a mess and my little grandson knocked the topper cake over causing it to break onto the side of the box. Well JEN TO THE RESCUE!!!!! I had brought extra icing and my baking tools. So with a little patience and a lot more icing I was able to save the cake. In the end the people that saw the cake when I first brought it in could not believe that it was the same cake. I was very proud of myself cus I didn't know if I could accomplish it myself. Hope you like the pictures

072_1_16_1.JPG 072_1_16_1.JPG  (148 KB)
074_1_1.JPG 074_1_1.JPG  (140 KB)
075_1_3_1.JPG 075_1_3_1.JPG  (150 KB)
077_1_16_1.JPG 077_1_16_1.JPG  (148 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Monday June 16, 2008 8:58 AM

Fabulous! You should be proud indeed!

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Monday June 16, 2008 3:59 PM
View users profile

Well girl, you pulled it off beautifully. Great job!

Report Violation

Bottom

Cakester
Posted: Wednesday June 18, 2008 8:10 AM

You totally pulled that off, way to go~!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: