skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Is there a guide for what type of decorations can go on buttercream, fondant, etc?
Created On Friday April 25, 2008 10:25 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

katjo
Posted: Thursday April 24, 2008 3:28 PM

I'm new to cake decorating, and am wondering if there is a reference for which types of icing decorations go on which types of icings (i.e. can I put gumpaste flowers on buttercream? What do you use to stick gumpaste to fondant, etc.). So much to learn! Thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

Ayanami
Posted: Friday April 25, 2008 9:57 AM

Almost any decoration can go with any kind of cake covering. Be careful of trying to stick heavy decorations on the sides of cakes (fondant cut outs, large flowers, etc) When attaching fondant to fondant, use clear vanilla to "paint" the surface to be attached, if doing royal flowers to buttercream, use buttercream to "glue" them on, if doing gumpaste to fondant, use gumglue to "paint" the surface. (gumglue is a pinch of gumpaste to 1 tbsp of water dissolved) If in doubt, purchase the Wilton course books (even if you don't plan on taking the classes) These books have great info with detailed pics. They are easy to understand & quick to read. I had all 4 books lamented & hole punched to fit into a 3" 3 ring binder.

Report Violation

Bottom

hpjmom
Posted: Friday April 25, 2008 10:25 AM

I use all decorations with all types of icings, depending on what I have onhand.

Fondant & gumpaste decorations stick to buttercream & fondant with water. If it's a heavy decoration, I'll use "royal glue" (equal parts meringue powder & water) or piping gel.

Royal icing will "melt" on buttercream, but it takes a couple days. So I've secured my royal icing transfers to my cake with buttercream. I just do it within 24 hours of the event. And I've used royal icing flowers on buttercream cakes--again, I just place them within 24 hours of the event.

I've used buttercream icing on fondant, because I don't typically have royal icing on hand.

I haven't come across any real "no-no's". Except, don't cover your cake with royal icing or gumpaste--they get hard.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: