skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Salted Butter Vs. Unsalted Butter For Making Buttercream Icing
Created On Tuesday April 22, 2008 3:59 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

yummycakes2008
Posted: Wednesday April 16, 2008 9:35 AM

I was wondering whether salted or unsalted butter is best to use with the Wilton buttercream recipe? Is salted better to cut down on the sweetness? Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Report Violation

Bottom

Tracey1970
Posted: Thursday April 17, 2008 10:24 AM

I've used both, and to be honest, I've not noticed any difference in taste. I know people say that the salt cuts down on the sweetness of the powdered sugar. I found no difference.

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Thursday April 17, 2008 10:48 AM

Most "experts" on cooking and baking recommend unsalted butter. That gives you control over the amount of salt, if any, to add to your recipe. When you use butter that has had salt added by the processor you don't know how much -- and it apparently varies a lot from brand to brand.

Salt in buttercream is a personal decision (as so many taste questions are). You can use no salt, the salt in pre-salted butter, or add your own as you make the frosting. If you like your current results, don't change. If you wonder if something else would be better, experiment.

Report Violation

Bottom

yummycakes2008
Posted: Tuesday April 22, 2008 3:59 PM

Thank you guys so much for all your help!! I am posting a new topic with a picture of my finished cake so you guys can see.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: