skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Royal Icing flowers
Created On Monday March 10, 2008 12:11 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

lvs2bake
Posted: Wednesday February 20, 2008 11:24 AM

Hi All,

I am in course 2 right now and made a ton of flowers with the royal icing but have lots of questions for you.

1) How do I store them, in the fridge, freezer, or in the cupboards?
2) Is a tupperware container ok or should I use something else? Layer them?
3) Do I take them off the wax paper or leave them on until I am ready to use them on a cake?
4) How long do they take to dry? It's been 24 hours and they are still soft.
5) How long will they last for? Don't want them to spoil.

Thanks for everyone for your awesome ideas and pictures. I am still trying to figure out how to post pics with Windows Vista, not easy but when I do, I will send you what I've been doing.

Cindy

Report Violation

Bottom

aggiesweethrt03
Posted: Monday February 25, 2008 11:24 AM

I'm in course 2 right now too. I'm storing mine in empty egg cartons. I can stack a few in there, and they are protected from light which can make them fade. I've been told they can be stored indefinitely in cupboards.

Report Violation

Bottom

Tracey1970
Posted: Monday February 25, 2008 3:50 PM

I've got many left over too, and I store them (they were fully dry when I put the in there) in a covered tupperware container out of direct light. As far as I know, they're good for a long, long time like that.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Monday February 25, 2008 4:04 PM

Royal icing:

1) How do I store them, in the fridge, freezer, or in the cupboards?
Never store your royal icing in the frig or the freezer. There is absolutely no need to do so. It lasts just fine out of direct sunlight, out of direct heat, and on the countertop.

2) Is a tupperware container ok or should I use something else? Layer them?
Sure! Tupperware or Rubbermaid is just fine. I store my little drop flowers (1/2" or so in size) in one of those DMC floss containers. The ones that have about 15-20 little compartments. I can color coordinate them or sort them in different shapes in there. Very handy! It is plastic and has a lid on it preventing dust from getting on them. For large flowers (like 1" or bigger) I bought plastic ornament boxes after Christmas at 75% off. I placed some Easter grass in the compartments and then the royal icing flowers on that. It has a lid too so keep the dust off them.

3) Do I take them off the wax paper or leave them on until I am ready to use them on a cake?
After they are completely dry, remove the wax paper and store on your containers.

4) How long do they take to dry? It's been 24 hours and they are still soft.
Drying time depends on how large the flowers are. If you make say 1- 1.5 " flowers they will take about 24 hours in a non humid environment. The small drop flowers will take about 30-35 minutes in a non humid environment.

5) How long will they last for? Don't want them to spoil.
Royal icing flowers do not spoil. They last forever.

Bunnywoman

Report Violation

Bottom

mom2Jeremy
Posted: Monday March 10, 2008 12:11 PM

I love the easter grass idea!! Thanks for the tip maybe now my flowers won't break as much and I can hide them all in one shot. I never would have thought of that, and this time of year it is perfect. If you're like me I have to hide my royal icing flowers. My son, niece and nephew love to eat my flowers. They are just fancy candy to them. Thanks again! Ann

Report Violation

Bottom

momklein
Posted: Wednesday June 09, 2010 11:12 AM

Bunnywoman - you always have great suggestions - when I make Easter Lilies on the foil - do you remove them from the foil prior to drying? this morning they are all breaking trying to remove them from the foil. Please help!

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Wednesday June 09, 2010 11:19 AM

I spray my foil with "veg oil" before piping. Then I can gently pull the foil away once dry!

Report Violation

Bottom

rpropst
Posted: Wednesday June 09, 2010 2:46 PM

I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT OIL WOULD CAUSE ROYAL ICING TO BREAK DOWN?ANY THOUGHTS

Report Violation

Bottom

redhedoo7
Posted: Saturday June 12, 2010 11:27 AM

Royal Icing is totally broken down by oil. You need to use the candy foils, not foil like reynold's wrap. It will peel right off when dry. Let the flowers dry about a week before using. I leave them on the foils for storage too.

Report Violation

Bottom

cutedoggie
Posted: Saturday June 12, 2010 12:11 PM

I paid 1.99 for a plastic bead box at Michaels for mine. It has a lot of compartments and is perfect for the class and the price is very reasonable along with the size. You can purchase more if you need them and they stack.

BW has some great ideas as well.

Report Violation

Bottom

ponyjockey
Posted: Saturday June 12, 2010 1:20 PM

I use an empty shoe box to store my flowers and they work work great because I can stack things on top of the boxes. The Easter grass is a great idea Bunnywoman!

Report Violation

Bottom

gata
Posted: Thursday June 24, 2010 2:58 PM

What happens if you do store Royal Icing in cold, like freezer or fridge?

Report Violation

Bottom

happycakes1
Posted: Thursday June 24, 2010 4:13 PM

they will be sticky and too soft to handle because the moisture destroys them.
I use reynolds non-stick foil just for royal flowers and designs. The little squares I cut from the roll can be used several times over as they are clean as a whistle (where did that phrase come from) because NOTHING ever sticks to them

Report Violation

Bottom

BabyKay
Posted: Thursday June 24, 2010 7:09 PM

I store my flowers in pizza boxes. I just went to a Pizza place and asked for a few extras when I was ordering one day. They are nice and flat, and don't take up too much room in my cake cupboards.

Report Violation

Bottom

chefjonms
Posted: Monday July 09, 2012 1:20 PM
View users profile

I am making a lot of RI flowers yesterday after noon for a wedding cake due this week end. The last time I made petunias on 2 piece lily nails and put foil in them as directed. Then I had a terrible time trying to get the foil off ( once they had dried) and broke a lot of lowers.
This time after I brushed crisco on the foil. I made the flowers yesterday and this after noon at 2 pm i tried to remove the foil from one flower and it broke and was still wet in the bottom.
So now i am wondering how much longer to wait to test another one. I have a lot more flowers to make and don't want the same problem.

some one once told me to freeze them and it would make the foil easier to get off. Yet I have also read not to put them in the fridge because too much humidity.

It has been very hot and humid here so maybe i need more than 24 hrs to dry?

Report Violation

Bottom

LisaH
Posted: Monday July 09, 2012 2:19 PM

I spray the foil too! There is a difference between royal icing touching grease or oil and getting the oil mixed into it. If it's mixed in you will not have royal icing you'll have mush. You place royal icing flowers on a buttercream (grease) covered cake and they hold their shape. The foil will peel away from the flowers more easily if you spray it lightly first or grease the foil with a very thin layer of shortening.

Report Violation

Bottom

trecur
Posted: Monday July 09, 2012 2:47 PM
View users profile

I have RI flowers from my classes last summer. It takes a few days to dry them in this weather and I have them in a cookie tin for storage still on the paper. I peel the paper off when I want to use them as the paper helps protect them. If you put them in an air tight container (like tupperware), make sure they are completely dry before storage.

I like the non stick reynolds wrap idea, think I'll try that. HTH

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Monday July 09, 2012 4:11 PM

This was a fascinating thread. Great ideas from a couple of folks:

--Easter grass purchased after holiday, 75% off
--plastic ornament boxes purchased at 75% off after Christmas
--the NEW NON-STICK REYNOLDS ALUMINUM FOIL (this stuff is FABULOUS!!!!!) I strongly recommend that everyone run out to the market and get some. Take a roll to your Wilton royal icing class, they will LOVE you for it! You can also use it for chocolate, gelatin, and probably lots of other stuff!

I've still got quite a few royal icing drop flowers from my 2010 Wilton course. I was so excited that I could actually make cute flowers that I did about 300 flowers. Hmmmm......what do you do with 300 RI drop flowers? STORE THEM, of course. I went to the 99 cent store and got a bunch of containers with lids in different sizes and put them in there. I'm finally down to about the last 50.

chefjonms~~I live in sunny, non-humid So California, and it still took about 4-5 days for my RI petunias to dry completely. I'd give them a week to be safe and make a lot extra. Granted, I was a raw newbie at that point, but, they took forever to dry and broke like crazy.

--------------------
happycakes1: "Clean as a whistle".
Robert "Rabbie" Burns (in his Author's Earnest Cry, 1786) provides us the first use of anything resembling the phrase clean as a whistle in writing: "Her mutchkin stowp as toom’s a whissle"... this meant "Her pint bucket is as empty as a whistle". ...we conjecture that Rabbie was familiar with this instrument, the implication being that if a whistle is not clear of obstruction inside, then it will not play properly.
--- http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/34422/clean-as-a-whistle-why-is-a-whistle-considered-appropriate-for-describing-cl]

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: