skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: mixing multiple boxes of cake mix
Created On Tuesday February 19, 2008 10:45 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

tbrack
Posted: Friday February 15, 2008 3:14 PM

I am new to cake decorating and the cake that I am making requires 3 boxes of cake mix. I know this may seem like an odd question but I just don't know the answer. How do I mix the 3 boxes of cake mix? Do I mix one box at a time and add it to the baking pan after I mix each box OR do I mix all three of them at once in the mixing bowl and then add them all in the baking pan?

If I mix all three at one time do I still beat for the 2 minutes stated on the box OR do I add additional beating time?

I have a kitchen aid and it seems like a 4 qt. mixing bowl. I just don't want to make a big mess.

Thanks,

Tracy

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Monday February 18, 2008 11:13 AM

My KA does best with 2 mixes at a time. For 3 mixes, I have all ingredients ready, measured, etc. (I have two mixer bowls -- a practice I highly recommend). I mix one batch of 1 mix and a second batch of 2 mixes and pour them into the pan.

It is extremely important to not let the batter sit around waiting to go into the oven. Be sure the pan is prepared and your ingredients are ready, so the delay is no more than the 3 minutes or so it will take to get the second batch ready.

When mixing more than one package, multiply the ingredients but do not multiple the mixing time. Two minutes is still the right length to mix.

Good luck!

Report Violation

Bottom

gamergates
Posted: Monday February 18, 2008 11:13 AM

I personally have mixed everything at the same time to get consistent flavor and color.

Your other option might be to mix them individually, pour them, then use a skewer or spatula to marble it.

Deb in Austin

Report Violation

Bottom

ButtercreamBlessings
Posted: Monday February 18, 2008 11:16 AM

Hi,

I would suggest you mix them all together. This way they all will be the same
texture. If you mix them separately and stir one mix more than the other mix
it won't look right. I've made this mistake before and when you cut a two layer
cake, you can tell the difference. You will have to mix just a little bit more because it's more mix. I don't know if your kitchen aid bowl will hold all that mix. I usually
do my mix in a separate bowl with a hand mixer and make my icing with the kitchen aid. Hope this helps! Best Wishes

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Monday February 18, 2008 11:23 AM
View users profile

Hello - my mixer isn't a kitchenaid but the bowl will hold 3 box mixes and yes, mix it up all at the same time. You just mix it until the batter is nice and well blended (no lumps) and looks thicker and creamy. I never actually look at the clock and time it. There are times that I need 4 cake mixes, so I beat up the 3 and then use my portable mixer for the other one and then mix them altogether in a larger bowl.

Report Violation

Bottom

hpjmom
Posted: Monday February 18, 2008 11:42 AM

I'm not sure that 3 mixes will fit in a 4qt. bowl. I have a 5 qt. bowl & I've mixed 3 in there & it was a tight squeeze. I usually end up mixing a little extra. I can usually tell by looking at it if it's done. In the 4qt., I'd mix up 2 together, then mix up the 3rd. Since the first 2 will be sitting out, I'd put them in a large bowl & mix in the 3rd before you add it to the pan. Before I had my 5qt., I had 2 mixing bowls. I'd put all the ingredients in both bowls, then mix them right after each other, so they didn't have to sit out. Then I'd just pour them both into the pan (no mixing ahead of time).

Report Violation

Bottom

dcapaldi
Posted: Monday February 18, 2008 11:42 AM

I have a 6qt. Kitchen Aide and a 4qt. Kitchen Aide and I can mix 3 in my 4qt. I always beat them longer then what they say, just make sure you try and get the air bubbles out. My customers don't mind the air bubbles in my cakes, because I've never had any complaints.

Report Violation

Bottom

Denise_1
Posted: Monday February 18, 2008 12:01 PM

That's the size bowl on my Kitchenaid, and I can comfortably mix two boxes at the same time if using a doctored mix recipe, 3 if using the plain box recipe. Draping a damp kitchen towel over the bowl helps contain the mess, and mix for only two minutes regardless of the number of boxes you are mixing together. Good luck with your baking. :>)

Report Violation

Bottom

jenng1482
Posted: Monday February 18, 2008 1:04 PM

I have mixed several boxes of cake mix at one time in my counter top mixer and with a hand mixer and have never had a problem. Add the cake mixes, then the eggs, oil, and then water (all ingredients obviously multiplied to the number of mixes). I have found that it takes just a little additional mixing time because of the larger quantity of ingredients to blend.

Report Violation

Bottom

tbrack
Posted: Tuesday February 19, 2008 10:45 AM

Thanks so much for all your responses, you are all so kind to take out the time to help.
Your answers were just what I needed.

Have A Great One !

Tracy

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: