skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Walmart brand shortening
Created On Sunday September 07, 2008 10:05 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

trajones00
Posted: Thursday January 31, 2008 4:21 PM

I have been using walmart brand shortening since crisco removed the trans fat. Yesterday, I sent my DH to pick up some for me and he said that they have removed the trans fat from the walmart brand now too. Anyone noticed this? Any suggestions of a replacement?

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Friday February 01, 2008 8:37 AM
View users profile

I've just been using the new crisco and haven't had any problems at all.

Report Violation

Bottom

purpledjones
Posted: Friday February 01, 2008 8:42 AM

Not to be dumb, I am a newbie, but does this make a difference???

I can't get my icing to crust good wondering if this might affect it.

Report Violation

Bottom

mommyjamie
Posted: Friday February 01, 2008 9:14 AM

I bought some Wegmans brand last week and it still has the trans fat in it. Unfortunately it only comes in 3 lb cans. I love the ease of the 6 lb one from BJ's for Crisco. I think I may just go back to that.

Report Violation

Bottom

wonderchic
Posted: Friday February 01, 2008 3:43 PM
View users profile

My Wilton instructor told us that if we use Crisco, to just double the amount of Meringue Powder. I've never used Crisco and will now additionally avoid the Wal-Mart brand. I'm currently using Meijer store brand. But Meijers (not to be confused with Fred Meyer's) are only in the Great Lakes area.

Report Violation

Bottom

Tracey1970
Posted: Friday February 01, 2008 3:51 PM

I've used the regular crisco too, without problems. I am going to try some hi-ratio and see if there's a difference. The trans fat doesn't affect the crusting.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Friday February 01, 2008 3:52 PM
View users profile

There has been a lot of posts about the new crisco not working well for others, with icing sliding off the cake and not crusting up properly. Again, I haven't had a problem but I don't care if the icing doesn't crust up. I'd rather have it softer anyway. I don't know about icing sliding off the cake.

Report Violation

Bottom

hpjmom
Posted: Monday February 04, 2008 11:49 AM

I haven't had that happen yet where I live. WalMart where I go sells 2 types of shortening--a light blue can with "no" transfats & a dark blue can with 3g of transfats. I buy the dark blue can.

Report Violation

Bottom

mamajaejae
Posted: Monday February 04, 2008 11:49 AM

Since Crisco has changed I really don't see a change in my frosting (using the Wilton buttercream recipe), but I have noticed a change in the cleanup. I wipe out my bowls and utensils with paper towels before washing them. I put everything in HOT water with Dawn like I have always done, but it seems to take longer to be able to get them clean and non greasy. Anyone else find this? Just wondering!

Report Violation

Bottom

casualcake
Posted: Thursday February 07, 2008 12:53 PM

When I make frosting either with butter or straight crisco, I use powdered milk instead of refrigerated milk. I mix the amount needed for each batch and my frosting develops a wonderful crust. Not too hard or too soft. Perfect . I hope this helps.

Report Violation

Bottom

donnaes
Posted: Friday February 08, 2008 11:32 AM

The last can of Safeway brand shortening I purchased still had transfat in it. I've also had success adding 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil per cup of shortening when using transfat-free shortening; a recipe that calls for 1 c. shortening would get 1 c. shortening and 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil.

Report Violation

Bottom

dancermom
Posted: Monday March 10, 2008 11:06 AM

Not true. We have two Meijer stores here in Lexington, KY.

Report Violation

Bottom

apbrennan72
Posted: Wednesday September 03, 2008 12:42 PM

i had the very same problem. a cake decorator told me to try aldi's brand, it worked perfect. hopefully you have an aldi's there :O). alicia

Report Violation

Bottom

spazzy
Posted: Wednesday September 03, 2008 5:44 PM

hmm, that might explain why I had a problem with the icing falling off the sides of a cake a few weeks ago, but it was only one cake out of 7 that I was doing that had that problem, so I thought it was just me. I personally don't like using the big cans of shortening, my preference is for the sticks. It makes measuring soooo much faster and easier. I would love to find a generic brand that sells in sticks, though.

I'm going to be making a cake this afternoon, I'll have to keep an eye on how well the buttercream "sticks" and crusts.

Report Violation

Bottom

babycakesII
Posted: Wednesday September 03, 2008 5:46 PM

Lexington, KY is as far south as Meijer's goes. that's it.

Sammy

Report Violation

Bottom

DIBBERS
Posted: Thursday September 04, 2008 7:48 AM

No problems here with the new crisco -
I bought some wal-mart brand shortening one weekend and had 2 cakes -
the icing tasted horrible - (not as white either).
I am back to using the crisco.

Report Violation

Bottom

wonderchic
Posted: Thursday September 04, 2008 4:24 PM
View users profile

That's right! I forgot Meijer spread into KY. They have some great sales!

I always use Walmart brand shortening now. I know they have 2 varieties though. I'm always sure to use the "All Vegetable" variety. My tasters say my icing is GREAT! I still use the Wilton class buttercream recipe because it's never failed me.

I suppose if Crisco works for some...use it. I've been learning not to change what works for me!

Oh yeah...I just remembered I had to use Spartan brand shortening a few times...that worked fine too. I don't have an ALDI nearby but there is a Save-a-Lot. Maybe I could try that once only because (WOW) shortening has gone up in price!!

Report Violation

Bottom

debb
Posted: Friday September 05, 2008 8:36 AM

I use Crisco and just recently started having the icing falling off the sides.
I thought it was something that I was doing but maybe not.

Report Violation

Bottom

spazzy
Posted: Sunday September 07, 2008 9:53 PM

I made a chocolate buttercream yesterday with the 0 trans fat crisco, and it came out wonderfully. I made an initial crumb coat, let it sit in the fridge for 20 minutes, and then made a thicker icing coat. It did very well, no problems at all. It wasn't the pure white buttercream recipe, though, that might be different.

Report Violation

Bottom

amberc727
Posted: Sunday September 07, 2008 10:05 PM

I'm new to cake decorating, so my experience with this is severely limited, but I don't understand why something as bad for you as trans fat would make icing better? I make my icing with a trans fat free, preservative free type of shortening that I buy at Whole Foods. The icing tastes wonderful, and I don't have any problem with it sliding off my cake, or anything of the sort.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: