skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: industrial mixer for frosting
Created On Sunday December 29, 2013 4:08 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

jjakaus
Posted: Sunday December 29, 2013 4:08 PM

Hope this is the right forum! I always use my kitchen aid to make butter cream frosting. I need to make 8 batches for a wedding this weekend and just realized that work has an industrial stand mixer. Has anyone used one of these to make huge batches at once? Thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Sunday December 29, 2013 5:50 PM
View users profile

I have not, but lucky you!

Report Violation

Bottom

dietcokenoice
Posted: Monday December 30, 2013 10:51 AM

Ditto what cakedujour said, lucky you!!! My husband's office no longer uses their kitchen in their cafeteria, I guess everyone wants to go out now. I know they have a huge industrial mixer there because I saw it and told him that if they ever consider getting rid of it, that I may want it. So now they lease the kitchen to several food trucks. Hubby told me one of them is a cupcake truck, but he wasn't sure which one. I may have to find out when they are there and visit him that day so I can inquire about the cupcakes. Let us know how it goes for you.

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Monday December 30, 2013 11:09 AM
View users profile

Just have to keep in mind that if you are going to use a huge mixer that you fill it full, otherwise you are going to have problems with air bubbles in your buttercream.

Report Violation

Bottom

Sugar Pie
Posted: Thursday January 02, 2014 10:24 PM

I have an industrial mixer. I have made huge batches of icing, and it works like a dream. One thing that I would suggest is to watch your liquid. You might need to cut back and not use the total amount called for when making 8 batches. Also, be careful that you don't get a powdered sugar bath when adding the sugar.
If you add a bit of the liquid right before you finish mixing, it will help with the air bubbles. Turn the speed to low when adding this last bit of liquid, and don't beat the living day lights out of your icing.

Report Violation

Bottom

Aunt Tilly
Posted: Friday January 03, 2014 12:48 AM

You can make one 'batch' of BC for every quart of your kitchen aid mixer. I'd go that route before trying to use an industrial mixer that I'd never used before. If you have a 5 qt bowl, you can make 5 batches at one time. Bunnywoman has posts that give her recipe for large batches. She does say to turn up the speed when all is incorporated, but I have found I can't ~ it does something to the texture and consistency.

I'd make 10 batches (2 - 5 qt bowls worth) because when the bowl is truly 'full' it doesn't get air bubbles. The icing needs to be all the way up to the top of the beaters. The other 2 recipes can just be frozen for another use later.

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Friday January 03, 2014 8:30 AM
View users profile

Aunt Tilly, not sure how large your "batches" are, but I can make a 5# batch (based on 5# of powdered sugar) in my 5.5 qt KA mixer bowl, and not have too big of a mess. To me, that's a 2.5 batch, since Bunny's base recipe is a 2# recipe. But again, it all comes down to what we consider a batch.

Report Violation

Bottom

dietcokenoice
Posted: Friday January 03, 2014 12:28 PM

When I mentioned earlier about using the industrial mixer at my hubby's office, I was thinking of cookie dough. I thought I could make a boatload of dough and then freeze it in smaller containers. I'd also like to see who is making their cupcakes there, but only because I'm nosey!!! I don't sell any of my baking items so I really have no need to use a mixer that size. A friend recently mentioned to me that she may want me to make some cookies for her niece's baby shower and that's what first got me thinking about that huge mixer.

Report Violation

Bottom

Aunt Tilly
Posted: Friday January 03, 2014 8:50 PM

Good question, Spooky. I consider one 'batch' to be 1# PS, 1 cup fat. Which is what I assumed, and probably should not have assumed that jjakaus was needing to make 8# PS, 8 cups fat batches of icing. Now reading it, the definition of 'batch' is the 'X' factor here. Either way, you are right, the mixer used needs to have a large enough batch of icing to ensure it doesn't get full of air bubbles.

Report Violation

Bottom

jjakaus
Posted: Tuesday January 14, 2014 6:13 PM

Thanks everyone. I was making 8 "batches" of bunneywoman's recipe, so that's 16 lbs of PS and 16 cups of fat. That is great to know about filling the mixer. I have an older Kitchenaid and I think my bowl is only 2.5 or 3 quarts. I always make one batch at a time because i worry about overfilling!!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: