skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Fabulous Pumpkin Spice Cake recipe (doctored mixes)
Created On Thursday December 13, 2012 10:59 PM
Topic View:

Pages: [ 1 2 3 4 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format

whoknew?
Posted: Thursday December 13, 2012 10:59 PM

Got this recipe from CakeCentral. Several people raved about it so I went for it and purchased the seasonal Jello Pumpkin Spice Instant Pudding mixes on Amazon. Once I'd purchased 24 (yes....24) boxes, I was committed.

Best cake decision I've ever made. This is a truly phenomenal dessert. Everyone who has tried it has given it 5 stars. It is fairly expensive to make and some of the ingredients are seasonal and hard (or impossible) to find; but it is worth it. This cake is VERY dense and moist and has very little rise. 7-1/2 cups of batter will only produce three 8" rounds, two 10" rounds, or one 12" round.

This cake freezes VERY well. I made two 2" rounds, and froze them for 4 months and they tasted perfect once I decorated with Bunny's Mock Shack.

Some of my Cake Club members have used Dulce de Leche caramel filling, cinnamon buttercream, or apple pie filling with great success. I love it with plain ol' Bunnywoman's Mock Shack.

PUMPKIN SPICE CAKE
Ingredients
One box (18.25 oz.*) of Duncan Hines yellow cake mix
One box (18.25 oz.*) of Duncan Hines Spice Cake Mix

6 whole eggs
2/3 cup canola oil
2 cups of water (depending on your location, you may need more?)
1/4 cup molasses (dark unsulphered)
1 can (15 oz.) of pure pumpkin (NO spices added to pumpkin!)
1/2 cup dark brown sugar (lightly packed)
1 tsp. cinnamon (level)
1 tsp. cloves (level)
1 tsp. ginger (level)
One box of Instant Jello Pumpkin Spice Pudding Mix (hard to find , seasonal item, and can be eliminated, but it’s better with the pudding mix in it--may be purchased on Amazon.com)

* IF your box mix is NOT 18.25 oz., then you need to add to smaller (16.5 oz.) cake mix
in addition to other ingredients:
½ cup flour
1/8 cup sugar
½ teaspoon baking powder

Instructions from original author, DeniseNH:
“Toss everything into your mixing bowl and mix away in no particular order. I bake at 350 until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Fill with sweetened cream cheese, or Jello Instant Pumpkin Spice pudding mix (made with heavy cream and whole milk) or apple compote (pre-cooked apple pie filling). It’s out of this world and I even have photographers at wedding shows hunting me down for a sample before the room fills with brides.”
Yield: 12 cups of batter which will only make three 8?, two 10?, or one 12? because there is VERY little rise in the batter when baking.
Posted by DeniseNH in CakeCentral.com: http://cakecentral.com/recipe/pumpkin-spice-cake
(Go to the link above and read the notes for more tips)

Here's a photo of the cake made for a Christmas birthday.

rsz_dads_89th_birthday_pic_21.jpg rsz_dads_89th_birthday_pic_21.jpg  (146 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

berry good
Posted: Thursday December 13, 2012 11:34 PM

Beautiful cake!! Recipe sounds delish, thanks for sharing. This is going into my favorites.

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Friday December 14, 2012 7:46 AM

Oh yum!!! I love spicy cakes....this one sounds wonderful!!

Report Violation

Bottom

dietcokenoice
Posted: Friday December 14, 2012 7:49 AM

PRINTING!!!!!! This sounds amazing. Thank you thank you thank you.

Report Violation

Bottom

Aunt Tilly
Posted: Friday December 14, 2012 12:58 PM

Sounds soooooooo yummy!!! WhoKnew did you use sugar cones for the base of the trees?

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Friday December 14, 2012 1:23 PM

Aunt Tilly~~Yes. I used a serrated steak knife to "saw" the bottoms off so the trees would be different heights. You break 1 or 2 for every good tree.

A friend said she saw the Jello Instant Pumpkin Spice Pudding at Walmart, but I've never seen it in any of my stores. If you see any, BUY extra's. I also stocked up on the seasonal offering of the smaller, 15 oz., size of un-seasoned pumpkin because it is difficult to find after the holidays.

Report Violation

Bottom

dietcokenoice
Posted: Sunday December 16, 2012 11:52 PM

whoknew - I made this recipe today and oh my...I'm speechless. It was amazing. This was like a pumpkin cake. Loved, loved, loved it. I made 24 cupcakes and filled them with apple pie filling and then made Bunny's buttercream. I was also able to make two 6" rounds that I froze and will use for Christmas. So good. Thank you for posting this recipe.

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Monday December 17, 2012 1:26 AM

SO glad you were able to try it! I always say, "I'm gonna try that", but rarely do. Were you able to find the instant pudding mix, or did you make the recipe without using that ingredient?

Report Violation

Bottom

dietcokenoice
Posted: Monday December 17, 2012 9:17 AM

I found it and had bought 4 boxes. But now I want to go buy more before it's all sold out!!!!! I'm not a big cake eater I have to admit and every year for my birthday I ask for pumpkin pie. This cake tasted just like a pumpkin pie...oh my goodness. I was leary when adding the molasses, cloves, ginger. I thought it would be too spicy. IT WAS AWESOME!!!! Thanks again.

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Monday December 17, 2012 12:00 PM

Definitely buy more of those pudding mixes NOW, because they will be gone soon. If you check the expiration date, they should be good for at least a year (or more). Just like you, I was put-off by the spices and thought they were going to be yucky, but soldiered on because of the reviews. You should also buy extras of the smaller size pumpkin, because those are also seasonal.

After all this time experimenting with different recipes and fillings, this is MY personal favorite, by far.

Report Violation

Bottom

kimodell
Posted: Tuesday December 18, 2012 1:58 PM

Does anyone know how this does as a cupcake since it doesn't rise much?

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Tuesday December 18, 2012 6:21 PM

Dietcoke made cupcakes and then filled the cupcakes with apple filling. She should be able to give you specifics. I'm planning on making some right now (it's rainy outside and I want to make the house smell good). I plan on filling the liners 2/3rds full instead of 1/2 full.

Report Violation

Bottom

kimodell
Posted: Wednesday December 19, 2012 10:11 AM

Whoknew, please report back after you have made them! I have a little time before I am making them.

Report Violation

Bottom

dietcokenoice
Posted: Wednesday December 19, 2012 11:15 AM

My post above comments on how I made them for Thanksgiving. With this recipe I made 24 cupcakes and 2 six inch cakes. I filled the cupcake liners about 3/4 full and they were huge cupcakes. Next time I'd fill the pan between 1/2 and 3/4. I'd probably get a few more cupcakes that way too (along with the cakes). I filled the cake pans about 2/3rds full and they rose a bit above the pan into a peak. Oh my, they were delicious I can't even tell you. I just went out today and bought 12 more boxes of that instant pumpkin pudding mix. Can't find it many places any more. Now they have gingerbread and peppermint flavors but I got lucky at one store.

Report Violation

Bottom

kimodell
Posted: Wednesday December 19, 2012 11:20 AM

Thanks, I must have missed the part about you already making the cupcakes. I can't wait to try this.

Report Violation

Bottom

Semtex
Posted: Saturday January 05, 2013 8:53 PM

I love pumpkin cakes. I'll have to give this a go!

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Tuesday January 08, 2013 7:26 PM

I finally found the pudding mix! (and I bought 4!) Now I can try this recipe!

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Tuesday January 08, 2013 11:22 PM

Make a cake right away. Then you'll have time to run back to the store and buy more pudding mixes.

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Monday January 28, 2013 2:51 PM

I made this today and I agree that it's really good! I made two 8 " rounds, 12 cupcakes and one little 4" layer which was our taste test cake. I frosted the cc's and small layer with non refrigerated traditional cream cheese frosting. The cc's will go in a bouquet and I'll freeze the 8" tiers for later.
Thanks whoknew for sharing this delicious recipe with us!!

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Monday January 28, 2013 4:41 PM

You are very welcome!

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 3 4 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: