skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Pumpkin spice cake with cream cheese icing and pumpkin butter filling
Created On Sunday September 30, 2012 8:34 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

scubabaker
Posted: Sunday September 30, 2012 8:34 PM
View users profile

I made some pumpkin butter in the crockpot overnight last night, and it was yummy. So then I decided to use some of it in a cake. The experiment turned out super delicious, so I thought I'd share.

Pumpkin Butter: Peeled and seeded a 5-ish pound pie pumpkin and cut it into 1-2" cubes. Mixed one cup of sugar with 2 1/2 Tbsp of pumpkin pie spice. Alternated layers of pumpkin and sugar/spice cubes in a crockpot and cooked it on low for 8 hours. When done, used an immersion blender to smooth it out (I'm sure you could use a regular blender) then put it in the fridge to cool.

Pumpkin Spice Cake: Started with a Duncan Hines Spice cake mix, added ingredients as shown on the package plus one additional egg and a small box of Jell-o Pumpkin Spice instant pudding mix.

Cream Cheese Icing: Was my first time using the Standard Cream Cheese Icing recipe that was tested by the Texas Cottage Food Law people as non-perishable. It's a package of cream cheese, a stick of salted butter, a Tbsp of vanilla and a pound of powdered sugar, and I made a double batch. The flavor was wonderful, but it is a VERY soft icing. Next time around (Thanksgiving?), I'll try a different cream cheese recipe.

Assembling the cake, I torted layers about 5/8" thick, so six in all. Between the layers I spread a thin layer of the straight cream cheese icing and then a thin layer of a 50/50-ish mix of the icing and the pumpkin butter. I then iced the whole thing with the cream cheese icing. I put it in the fridge just to firm up the icing, so it was chilled when we tried it. My husband declared it tasted just like pumpkin pie.

Report Violation

Bottom

Miss LJH
Posted: Monday October 01, 2012 6:01 AM

This sounds delicious. We all bring pumpkin recipes for thanksgiving, so think I'll give this one a try. Thanks.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Monday October 01, 2012 9:49 AM
View users profile

This sounds awesome! Thanks, Gail!

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Monday October 01, 2012 11:02 AM

Definitely the time of year for pumpkin!! thanks for the recipe! I've made the creamcheese frosting several times and people seem to really like it (me included! ) I've eaten it the next day without refrigerating it and it was fine.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Monday October 01, 2012 6:24 PM

When you talked about the immersion blender that got me to thinking about the last class we took together at Jenn's. Do you remember that pumpkin soup???? It was delish! I want that recipe. Do you remember who made that and did you ever get the recipe for it?

Pumpkin butter? OMG!!!! That sounds AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

scubabaker
Posted: Monday October 01, 2012 8:01 PM
View users profile

Hey, bunny, a woman named Leslie made that soup. Here is the link she gave to the recipe:

http://www.countryliving.com/recipefinder/ginger-pumpkin-soup-3268

Her email also included the following: "I make the creme fraiche by whipping up a carton of heavy whipping cream until it is very stiff and then adding sour cream til I think it tastes good."

Enjoy!

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Monday October 01, 2012 8:55 PM
View users profile

I was thinking about that soup when I read this too! I actually made it after we got home, and it was a hit with everyone except my finicky husband. I'm going to make it again soon! Man, it is good soup!

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Monday October 01, 2012 9:02 PM
View users profile

From Country Living Magazine, the above mentioned soup recipe:

Ginger Pumpkin Soup

2 can(s) (15-ounce) pumpkin puree
3 can(s) (14 1/2-ounce) chicken broth
1 can(s) (11 1/2-ounce) pear nectar
1/3cup(s) creamy peanut butter
2 clove(s) garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoon(s) grated fresh ginger root
2 tablespoon(s) finely chopped green onion
1 tablespoon(s) fresh lime juice
1/2teaspoon(s) salt
1/4teaspoon(s) ground cayenne pepper
Toasted pumpkin seeds (optional)
Chopped chives (optional)

In a 6-quart saucepan, combine pumpkin puree, chicken broth, and pear nectar. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 10 minutes.
In a blender or the bowl of a food processor fitted with chopping blade, process 1 cup pumpkin mixture with peanut butter until smooth. Return to saucepan with the remaining pumpkin mixture. Add garlic, ginger root, green onion, lime juice, salt, and cayenne pepper; cook 10 minutes over medium heat.
Divide soup among soup plates and garnish with pumpkin seeds and chives, if desired. Serve immediately.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Monday October 01, 2012 9:07 PM

Thank you!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: