skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Icing
Created On Sunday September 30, 2012 5:11 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

cakehunter
Posted: Sunday September 30, 2012 5:11 PM

Looking for a 'healthy' vanilla icing recipe. I prefer whipped icing, but anything would work! I will be using the icing to decorate cakes....

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Sunday September 30, 2012 11:44 PM
View users profile

Healthy in what way? When I'm thinking about healthy eating, icing tends to fall on the other side of the ledger.

I guess you could do a stabilized whipped cream which is a dairy product, but that has quite a bit of fat. You could look into a commercial product like Rich's Bettercream or Pastry Pride and see if the ingredient lists on those products meet your criterion for healthy. A cream cheese icing is also dairy but has a lot of sugar and fat. Swiss Meringue Buttercream has egg whites and less sugar than American Buttercream does, but it still has quite a bit. Italian Meringue Buttercream has less sugar but a lot of butter.

Pick your 'Poison" as the saying goes.

Report Violation

Bottom

dietcokenoice
Posted: Monday October 01, 2012 8:46 AM

I googled "healthy icing alternatives" and found this, along with a bunch of others:

"Mix one small box of sugar free instant pudding (any flavor) with 1 cup milk. (mix with whisk--no need to use mixer) Stir this into one small tub of whipped topping (like Cool Whip)--can use the low fat or sugar free kind. Use this to top cup cakes, cakes or cookies. You do need to refrigerate the ones you don't eat on the day you make this."

THIS IS NOT MY RECIPE AND I HAVE NOT TRIED IT....just so ya know
You may be able to cover a cake, but I'm not sure about piping decorations with this. Sorry I'm not more helpful.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: