skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: CakeBoss (software maker) White Velvet Wedding Cake Recipe
Created On Monday August 20, 2012 7:55 PM
Topic View:

Pages: [ << 1 2 3 >> Previous Next ]
View thread in raw text format

Spooky_789
Posted: Friday August 24, 2012 3:01 PM
View users profile

No, no no, not baking soda. Corn starch. See this.

Report Violation

Bottom

trecur
Posted: Friday August 24, 2012 8:14 PM
View users profile

OOOppppssss, my bad!!!

Use 2 tbsp CORN STARCH not baking soda. Sorry

Report Violation

Bottom

KTB
Posted: Saturday August 25, 2012 8:27 AM

Unfortunately we can't get Pillsbury mixes at all in Canada so I wouldn't be able to order them through our Walmart. I'm not sure if I could order them through the US but I'm sure shipping would be high though which makes it not really worth it.

I think I may try this though and just use the 3 Tbsp of pudding like I usually do.

Report Violation

Bottom

Aunt Tilly
Posted: Sunday September 02, 2012 9:11 PM

I tried this recipe for a cake due yesterday for an 80 year old's birthday celebration. I baked two 12" rounds, torted into a 4-layer cake (very tall!!) with BW's soooooo yummy BC recipe using part to mix with my homemade fresh strawberry jam for filling. The cake required the ENTIRE 4# PS recipe ~ I think I have possible 1/2 left after filling, icing and border. I'm hearing comments that it was absolutely delish!!!! My samplings of the cake carnage (leveling leftovers - not much there, either) confirmed that the cake is my new 'go to' recipe!! This thread came up just in the nick of time for my project!! Hopefully, I can get a photo of it attached. Haven't been successful at that yet....

Wanted to say a HUGE thank you for posting this recipe, Spooky!!

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Monday September 03, 2012 7:13 PM
View users profile

Aunt Tilly, I'm glad you liked it. I may have posted it, but Swishtrish told me that it was a great recipe. I had seen it before when I checked out their website, in fact, I made the raspberry filling that they use to fill this cake on their picture of it, but hadn't made it yet until Tricia said to give it a try.

So THANKS Swishtrish!!

Report Violation

Bottom

swishtrish
Posted: Monday September 03, 2012 9:00 PM

Glad we all found a keeper! I love it when that happens. Glad I could pass something helpful on!

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Tuesday October 02, 2012 6:19 PM

Bumping for newbakermom....

thanks spooky for posting this recipe!

Report Violation

Bottom

dietcokenoice
Posted: Monday April 01, 2013 10:16 AM

Thanks for posting this recipe Spooky. I made it this weekend and with the one recipe was able to make: one very full 10" heart shape pan and 12 cupcakes. It's really good. I haven't tried the WASC recipe to be able to compare it (have only made the chocolate WASC), but will definitely do that. Thanks again.

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Monday April 01, 2013 12:01 PM
View users profile

I like this recipe a lot better than the WASC. It isn't wet. It works well even with the store brand cake mixes that are very cheap and still 18.25 oz in size.

Report Violation

Bottom

dietcokenoice
Posted: Monday April 01, 2013 12:28 PM

I used a Duncan Hines mix that was 16.5 ounces. I'm going to have to start looking around for some off brands. I have an Aldi and Meijer near me, I'll try there. I liked that it was firm and not too sweet. Have you stacked cakes with this? Thanks again.

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Monday April 01, 2013 12:36 PM
View users profile

Yes. It is a very durable cake that was created especially for wedding cakes.

Report Violation

Bottom

dietcokenoice
Posted: Monday April 01, 2013 12:38 PM

Perfect!!!! Thanks Spooky.

Report Violation

Bottom

FH
Posted: Monday April 01, 2013 1:12 PM

I've been using the WASC recipe but this one sounds good too. May have to give it a try before this weekend when I have another wedding cake to do . Thanks for sharing.

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Monday April 01, 2013 3:18 PM
View users profile

In a previous post I stated that when I added the melted butter, I thought it had cooked the eggs somewhat. I was wrong. Because of the colder temperature of the eggs/sour cream/water, when I added the melted butter, the butter actually slightly congealed, making tiny little butter balls (that's what those lumps were). Once the cake bakes up, you can't tell any different. So it's not a flaw, just a by-product of the warm butter meeting the cool liquids.

Also, I have made this cake using the store brand (18.25 oz) cake mixes that do not have pudding in them. They worked just fine. Late last week, I added about 3 T. instant french vanilla pudding to a double batch of this recipe. I can't say that it really made a difference one way or the other. I think I'll just leave it out.

This recipe makes a lot of batter. I doubled it, thinking I'd have just enough, and I ended up making 60 cupcakes and an 8" round (3" deep) layer out of it. Way more than I needed (40 cupcakes).

Definitely use cake flour as that is what aids in the lightness of it.

Report Violation

Bottom

FH
Posted: Monday April 01, 2013 4:42 PM

I made this today using a 16 oz BC mix. The cake is good, I added 3/4tsp of double strength vanilla and 3/4tsp of almond. The cake was a little moister than the regular WASC that I use. It leveled nicely though, but it did pull away from the sides earlier than I thought......the center was done with the skewer (toothpick) test but still a bit mushy for my taste. Since the sides had started pulling away I took it out of the oven though...might try baking it at 325 next time, I always bake at 350. A 10" square took quite a while, no flower nail.....again, might be something I try next time in the center. The sides were a bit harder to cut through and have the edge not rip away from the cake.....but with some patience my husband treated it like a delicate piece of woodwork and managed to get it level without a rip anywhere!

Report Violation

Bottom

FH
Posted: Monday April 01, 2013 4:43 PM

Sorry, it was actually a Pillsbury mix I used...not Betty Crocker.

Report Violation

Bottom

swishtrish
Posted: Monday April 01, 2013 6:23 PM

I have used this recipe several times now with no problems. Everyone always raves about it. I make it as is with no substitutions.

Report Violation

Bottom

dietcokenoice
Posted: Monday April 01, 2013 7:51 PM

I also made a mistake above, I did not use a Duncan Hines, it was a Pillsbury for this cake...sorry. (I used the Duncan Hines box I had for the chocolate WASC) I baked it at 325, used my homemade cake release and parchment on the bottom on a 10" heart pan, no nail. It wasn't soggy at all and the edges were perfect. Hmmmm, all ovens are different. Give it another chance and try baking at 325. Good luck FH.

Report Violation

Bottom

akajan
Posted: Tuesday April 02, 2013 11:58 AM
View users profile

I've been using this recipe forever. Everyone loves it. I use DH French Vanilla

Report Violation

Bottom

akajan
Posted: Tuesday April 02, 2013 3:48 PM
View users profile

I made the raspberry filling for this cake

0176.JPG 0176.JPG  (73 KB)
tri color checkerboard.jpg tri color checkerboard.jpg  (31 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ << 1 2 3 >> Previous Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: