skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: CakeBoss (software maker) White Velvet Wedding Cake Recipe
Created On Monday August 20, 2012 7:55 PM
Topic View:

Pages: [ 1 2 3 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format

Spooky_789
Posted: Monday August 20, 2012 7:55 PM
View users profile

I was talking with SwishTrish the other day and she says she really likes this recipe. I plan on giving it a try soon, and just wondered if anyone else has tried it and what you thought/think about it.

1 box Pillsbury or Betty Crocker White or Vanilla cake mix
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup + 2 tbsp cake flour (NOT all-purpose flour)
1/8 tsp salt

1 1/3 cups water
3 eggs
1/2 cup melted butter (lightly salted)
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract or almond extract (optional)

Report Violation

Bottom

Mbranko24
Posted: Monday August 20, 2012 8:18 PM

Spooky- can Duncan Hines be used?

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Monday August 20, 2012 8:28 PM
View users profile

I don't know. It isn't my recipe. The reason it probably states PB or BC is most like due to the pudding in the mix. But like I said, I haven't made it.

Report Violation

Bottom

thecakediva40
Posted: Monday August 20, 2012 11:32 PM

This seems like a great recipe, but can you please give a little more info? Bow many pans do you need a d howling should you bake it. Thanks! :-)

Report Violation

Bottom

newbakermom
Posted: Tuesday August 21, 2012 12:23 AM

Cakediva, if you click on the link, spooky provided, it gives a bit more information. She hasn't tried this recipe yet either and just wants advice as well from anyone who might of tried it.

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Tuesday August 21, 2012 7:53 AM
View users profile

Thanks, Newbakermom.

I didn't post the entire thing as I prefer providing the source of a recipe so that person/blog can get the credit.

Again, anyone who has made this and has feedback, I'd appreciate hearing it.

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Tuesday August 21, 2012 7:01 PM
View users profile

I've got this in the oven right now. I did one 8" round layer in a 3" deep pan (I was being lazy and didn't want to collar the 2" pan), and 18 cupcakes. I used 2 t. vanilla and 1 t. vanilla bean paste. We'll see how it comes out.

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Tuesday August 21, 2012 11:27 PM
View users profile

I think I have found my new go to white cake recipe. Although similar to a WASC, I actually like it much better than the traditional WASC. I think part of it is due to the fact it uses cake flour, rather than all purpose flour, and has a lighter crumb.

I did use, because I like it, two teaspoons of Nielsen Massey Madagascar vanilla and one teaspoon of Lorann vanilla bean paste. This gave the cake a very vanilla-y flavor. Next time I may even go up to a tablespoon of the vanilla extract. It's just that good.

As mentioned previously, I divided the batter into a 8" round 3" deep pan, and used a flower nail. It rose a complete two inches, plus the dome, so once I level it, it will be a nice even 2" tall. The cupcakes all had a slight dome, but more flat than domed. Oh and I baked it at 350, not 325.

I made it using the 16.25 oz Betty Crocker white cake mix. Followed the recipe. I did mix all liquids but the butter first, then slowly added the melted butter. Because it was still warm, the egg yolks cooked just slightly because of the warmth, but not enough to be a detriment. I could not see them in the finished cake. So next time I may just cool my butter a bit more before adding, so this doesn't happen again.

I may give this a try again using the 18.25 oz Kroger cake mix I have, but I don't think the Kroger mixes have pudding in them, so it may produce a different result. Same goes for DH. But if you try this recipe using DH, please let me know how it turns out.

Report Violation

Bottom

dietcokenoice
Posted: Wednesday August 22, 2012 9:23 AM

Thanks Spooky, printing this out now. I'll have to give this a try, but may leave out the 1/8 tsp salt since the butter is salted (or vice versa).

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Wednesday August 22, 2012 9:53 AM
View users profile

You really could not taste the salt. I think it just enhances all the flavors.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Wednesday August 22, 2012 11:13 AM
View users profile

I'm thinking that a little food coloring will make lots of different "velvet" cakes...pink velvet, blue velvet, anything the customer wants!

Report Violation

Bottom

thecakediva40
Posted: Thursday August 23, 2012 12:52 PM

I made this recipe yesterday and OMG it is my new go to white cake recipe. I used my whip cream cheese with strawberry preserves for a filling. This recipe is fabulous! Thanks Cake Boss.

Report Violation

Bottom

thecakediva40
Posted: Thursday August 23, 2012 1:02 PM

cakedujour, you were reading my mind. I was thinking the same thing about food color and maybe some fress lemon juice and yellow food color or whatever.

Report Violation

Bottom

KTB
Posted: Thursday August 23, 2012 8:53 PM

Good to know. Do you think it would work with DH? I can't get Pillsbury in Canada and don't cake for BC. Plus my DH mixes here are still the big ones

I may have to give this a try soon. Pfft who am I kidding - I'm a teacher by my *real* job and we go back to work in a week. I might have time around Christmas :P

Report Violation

Bottom

thecakediva40
Posted: Friday August 24, 2012 1:35 AM

I think it would work with DH, but you might have to add some vanilla pudding in it. Maybe 1 cup. The Pillsbury cake mix has 1 cup of pudding added to it. Have you ever thought about ordering the PB cake mix by the case from Walmart or another company? Bu the way the PB mix price just got increased from $1.00 to $1.18l. Good luck.

Report Violation

Bottom

trecur
Posted: Friday August 24, 2012 3:37 AM
View users profile

Hmmmmm, cake flour instead of AP flour. I think I'll give that a try. Thanks

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Friday August 24, 2012 8:08 AM
View users profile

It definitely makes a difference. You know, I think I've seen a WASC recipe that calls for cake flour. I need to find that and try it. I think WASC are somewhat heavy, which is okay if you need to carve it.

Report Violation

Bottom

emmer_d
Posted: Friday August 24, 2012 10:55 AM
View users profile

spooky - I want to try this recipe tonight, but don't have any cake flour...do you think if I sift AP flour several times it'll help? Or use less AP flour than the recipe calls for?

Thanks!!
Emily

Report Violation

Bottom

trecur
Posted: Friday August 24, 2012 12:07 PM
View users profile

I'm not spooky but if you take out 1 tbsp of flour and add 1 tbsp baking soda you get a sub for cake flour. HTH

Report Violation

Bottom

emmer_d
Posted: Friday August 24, 2012 2:10 PM
View users profile

thanks trecur!!

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 3 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: