skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: how to make cake box mix taste more homemade
Created On Saturday May 05, 2012 12:19 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Oliva423
Posted: Saturday May 05, 2012 12:19 PM

i was wondering how all of u who use cake box mix..make it taste more home made..one thing i dont like the cake in a box is that when u cut it it crumbles..also instead of buying chocolate flavor..can i use white or yellow cake n jst add chocolate..i jst got tired of trying to find a cake recipe from scratch they cruble their hard n not moist..i wish i was able to cook like the bakers who own their own bakery business..but i guess ill jst have to use cake box mix..how can i make it taste more homemade..n change to different flavor..

Report Violation

Bottom

luvbakin
Posted: Saturday May 05, 2012 2:19 PM
View users profile

Do a doctored cake which uses a cake mix. I always use the WASC recipe and if I want to have a different flavor I just change the flavor of mix and extracts. I have had nothing but compliments and it doesn't taste like a box mix.

If you want to do a Chocolate scratch recipe the best one I have used is the "Deep Dark Chocolate", it turns out awesome.

I will bump them both for you.

HTH

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Saturday May 05, 2012 4:35 PM

Oliva423~~I use these two recipes the most for my hobby baking. They are doctored cake mixes made using recipes from The Cake Mix Doctor. I suggest you purchase this book and start by baking each cake exactly as the recipe is written in the "Just the Basics" chapter at the end of the book. Once you have done that, you can branch out in ALL directions because you will know what to expect and what people like the best. Also READ every page of the first 20 or so pages--you will gain a wealth of baking information that you can't get anywhere else.

You can purchase the book right now on Half.com:
http://product.half.ebay.com/_W0QQprZ2484374

Recipe for chocolate Darned Good Chocolate Cake:
http://printing.sc.edu/recipes-february-darncake.asp

This recipe is very dependable, consistent, tasty, & durable enough to stack and carve. It also makes lovely cupcakes. You can use gel colors to color the batter. This is a version of a cake recipe from the book: The Cake Mix Doctor, by Anne Byrn, ISBN: 0761117199. [EVERY baker should own this book!]

Sour Cream White Cake
1 package (18.25 oz.) Duncan Hines white cake mix
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup canola oil
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure almond extract (you can also use vanilla, lemon, coconut, etc.)

Report Violation

Bottom

Oliva423
Posted: Sunday May 06, 2012 12:27 AM

the deep dark chocolate is that the recipe that came out in back of the herseys cocoa can?i bake it n i like it..chocolate moist and soft..n if i remember correct i think it was dense n didnt cruble when u cut it..i already have a chocolate cake which is the recipe that i use behind the hersey cocoa can..i have a correct cake..its from scratch so i sticking to those but as of vanilla, white, or yellow, red velvet, pink champagne, those are recipes i dnt have..im not going to do the cupcake bouquts after all..i cant find a butter cream recipe that seems to be perfect and simple for me..i need a buttercream frosting recipe that won't melt when its hot..i wanted to try making graduation cupcakes but i have to find a buttercream frosting that its oky for warm weather i live in california ..people will be graduating by the end of this month..so if any of u have a buttercream recipe that will hold for like hours being outside and wont melt please let me knw..im trying to raise money to pay my cna classes in september..thank u for taking the time in answering my questions

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Sunday May 06, 2012 6:58 AM

This will work beautifully in hot weather. Good luck on getting your CNA certification!
------------------
INDYDEBI CRISCO-BASED BUTTERCREAM--(Excellent for hot/humid areas):
(IndyDebi is a very experienced decorator/caterer: http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/)
Single Batch Recipe:
1-1/3 cups Crisco (BETTER: store brand shortening with 3 grams of trans-fats, or BEST, a specialty cake supply product called high-ratio shortening. As of 2010 Crisco no longer contains trans-fats.)
1/3 to 1/2 cup milk, depending on consistency needed
3 Tbsp powdered Dream Whip (powdered whipped topping mix made by Kraft Foods)
2-3 Tbsp clear vanilla, depending on personal taste (optional: almond extract, or lemon extract )
2 lbs. powdered pure cane sugar
IndyDebi says: “There's no wrong way to mix this. I usually mix all but the powdered sugar & milk for a minute or two, then gradually alternate the sugar & milk, but the only reason I do this is to avoid the "sugar-splash" factor. The longer the mixer runs, the smoother it gets. Sifting the powdered sugar before blending helps with smoothness but is not necessary.”
NOTE: Based on recommendations from other users of her recipe: 1) I make a double batch so the beaters are totally immersed to avoid air bubbles, 2) I beat the shortening, milk, Dream Whip, and vanilla for 10-15 minutes BEFORE I add the powdered sugar. I refrigerate or freeze leftover icing.
-----------------
p.s. As a courtesy to those of us on the forum who don't understand "text" speech, may I ask that you use Capitals and punctuation and spell words out? It would be greatly appreciated.

Report Violation

Bottom

Oliva423
Posted: Sunday May 06, 2012 2:15 PM

thank..ill take ur advice

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: