skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Recipes to Doctor Red Velvet Cake Mixes
Created On Monday January 09, 2012 10:50 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

beck2
Posted: Monday January 09, 2012 10:50 PM

Hello Fellow Decorators! I know many of you have recipes to doctor bought cake mixes. Would someone mind sharing their recipe for Red Velvet cake mixes? Thank you so much!!

Report Violation

Bottom

Sugar Pie
Posted: Tuesday January 10, 2012 12:12 AM

http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=8&threadid=153798&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

There's a Red Velvet Cake that Whoknew? posted if you'll scroll down in this thread.
Hope it's what you're looking for.

Report Violation

Bottom

trecur
Posted: Tuesday January 10, 2012 6:14 AM
View users profile

I tried 2 variations last week (my neighbors helped me eat them). I prefer the wasc alone without the pudding. HTH

Report Violation

Bottom

aandkidz
Posted: Tuesday January 10, 2012 8:34 AM

I found this recipe online and its a killer. I've tried the Cake Doctors recipe...no likey and the wasc and its was so so. This one got rave reviews and its scratch. I also like the vanilla bean paste instead of regular extract. I really fives all recipes a punch.

Hope it helps

For the Red Velvet Cake:

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (recommended: White Lily)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cocoa
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups canola oil
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 (1-ounce) bottle red food coloring
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup buttermilk

For the cream cheese frosting:

1/2 cup margarine 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
1 box confectioners' sugar, sifted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped lightly toasted pecans

For the Red Velvet Cake:

Directions Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 3 (9-inch) round layer cake pans.

Sift flour, baking soda and coco together. Beat sugar and eggs together in a large bowl.

In a separate bowl mix together oil, vinegar, food coloring, and vanilla. Add to the bowl of eggs and sugar and beat until combined.

Add the flour mixture and the buttermilk to the wet mixture by alternating the buttermilk and dry ingredients. Always start with the flour and end with the flour.

Pour batter into pans. Tap them on the table to level out the batter and release air bubbles. Bake for 25 minutes or until a cake tester inserted near the middle comes out clean but be careful not to over bake or you'll end up with a dry cake.

Let layers cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes before turning out of pan. Cool completely before frosting.

For the cream cheese frosting: This is the "official" cream cheese frosting recipe but we always use about 1 1/2 recipes on each cake to cover it well.

Let margarine and cream cheese soften to room temperature. Cream well. Add sugar and beat until mixed but not so much that the frosting becomes "loose". Add vanilla and nuts. Spread between layers and on top and sides of cake.

Report Violation

Bottom

luvbakin
Posted: Tuesday January 10, 2012 12:45 PM
View users profile

I use the WASC recipe for all my cake mixes that I doctor. I haven't had a complaint one. The only thing that I do different is depending on the flavor I use a different flavoring, extract, zest or a combination. If you use the WASC for the Red Velvet mix just use vanilla extract and omit the almond that it calls for. Also when using any mixes other then the white use only 6 eggs for a full recipe or 3 for half recipe.

If using LorAnn oils for flavoring like I do you will only need a drop or two as they are very concentrated.

HTH

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: