skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Adding Pudding Mix to 'Scratch' Cakes?
Created On Monday November 21, 2011 1:58 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

german_girl_with_curls
Posted: Monday November 21, 2011 1:58 PM

Hi, everyone. I believe I posted this question once before about a year ago but never really got into a discussion over it. I would like to know if anyone has had success with adding pudding mixes to scratch cakes. I am wanting to add them to my bundt cakes to make 'pudding' cakes or 'cream' cakes (you know, with a super moist and dense crumb), but I am curious as to how to do this without overloading my cakes and having it sink back down upon cooling. I have always loved how they turn out in doctored 'box' recipes, but I REALLY want to master this with my scratch cake recipes as well.

I have tried just adding a box of vanilla pudding (the standard size) to my basic vanilla butter cake, which uses 2 1/4 C. flour, 3/4 C. fat (butter, or butter and shortening combined), 1 3/4 C. sugar, and usually 1 1/4 C. whole milk or some other liquid...oh, and 3 eggs (and of course salt, leavening(s), flavorings, etc). I wasn't pleased with the texture nor the taste when simply adding the box of pudding, and I can't remember if I added an extra egg (I have a feeling I didn't out of fear it would make the structure of the cake too heavy and dense.

If you have a recipe or two that you don't mind sharing (not to copy, but to have some reference point on measurements), or some tips on how to use pudding mixes in 'scratch' cakes, it would all be greatly appreciated. :-)

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: