skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Yummy in my tummy Doctored Red Velvet
Created On Friday October 28, 2011 11:56 AM
Topic View:

Pages: [ 1 2 3 4 5 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format

whoknew?
Posted: Friday October 28, 2011 11:56 AM

I'm munching on the overfilled part of my third 3-D Skull cake. OMG it is SOOOOO good. All this time I've been yakking about how red velvet is a fad, doesn't taste any different, yada yada yada. Well, I officially apologize. I was wrong. I still personally prefer chocolate, sour cream white, but this recipe is awfully good.

I just tasted the warm cake sliced off the 'top' of the 3-D skull and goodness, it doesn't need cream cheese frosting. It actually does taste "unique". And it absolutely does NOT taste like the base is from a box mix.

Here's the recipe:

Courtesy of BlakesCakes from CakeCentral.com—DOCTORED RED VELVET CAKE:

1 Duncan Hines Red Velvet Cake Mix
1 box white chocolate (hard to find) or chocolate instant pudding mix
4 eggs
1/2 c. sour cream
1/2 c. buttermilk [I use buttermilk powder mixed with water to 'make' the buttermilk for my baking]
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract

BlakesCakes: “Hand mix all ingredients until incorporated and then mix on medium with a hand mixer for 1:30 to 2:00 minutes. Bake at 325 until a toothpick comes out clean. The cake is tasty and sturdy. I often ice with a 50/50 mixture of homemade buttercream and canned cream cheese icing so that the cake can stay at room temp for long periods.”

Report Violation

Bottom

Mbranko24
Posted: Friday October 28, 2011 8:19 PM

This sounds great! Thanks for posting! I have been on the hunt for a good red velvet. I will have to give this a TTY.

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Friday October 28, 2011 10:13 PM

Sounds similar to what I do!

Report Violation

Bottom

thecakediva40
Posted: Saturday October 29, 2011 5:25 AM

Can you find powder buttermilk at any food market?

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Saturday October 29, 2011 10:05 AM
View users profile

Cakediva, this doesn't answer your question, but you can easily make buttermilk by putting one tablespoon white vinegar or lemon juice in your measuring cup, then adding enough milk to measure one cup. Here is [l=a link/http://frugalliving.about.com/od/condimentsandspices/r/Buttermilk_Sub.htm[/l] to the recipe on how to make your own buttermilk.

I've done this many a times when I get a hankering for buttermilk pancakes and don't have buttermilk on hand. I always have vinegar and usually have milk.

Whoknew, I've yet to make a red velvet cake although my brother in law would like one. Maybe this will inspire me to do it.

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Saturday October 29, 2011 10:06 AM
View users profile

Let's try that link again: Buttermilk Substitute

Report Violation

Bottom

BrayRyMama
Posted: Sunday October 30, 2011 8:53 PM

This is good, I made this for my birthday (haven't eaten yet its still in the freezer waiting to decorate ) but i did snack on the trimmings

Report Violation

Bottom

berry good
Posted: Monday October 31, 2011 1:00 AM

The powdered buttermilk is available in my Wal-mart store, with the other milks (sweetened condensed,& evaporated). It is a yellow, red & white 12 oz. can ( round box). Must be refrigerated after opening. FYI

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Monday October 31, 2011 2:02 PM

thanks !!!

Maybe this one will change my mind about RVC too. I don't care for it at all, either the mix or homemade but the next order I get I'll try this one.

Report Violation

Bottom

NonnaCindy
Posted: Monday October 31, 2011 3:37 PM

Is the box of pudding the small serving size?
Thanks, Cindy

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Monday October 31, 2011 4:17 PM
View users profile

Yes. Most doctored cake mixes use the small box (not to say that there is a recipe out there that may call for a large box).

Report Violation

Bottom

cattitude
Posted: Saturday November 05, 2011 12:46 AM
View users profile

That's the recipe I use. Made it yesterday. I use 1 tsp. of white vinegar with milk to make it like buttermilk.

Report Violation

Bottom

sunshinehobbyist
Posted: Sunday November 06, 2011 10:49 AM
View users profile

I actually have white chocolate pudding mix! I have been waiting for a good reason to use it, and this is definitely it! YAY!

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Sunday November 06, 2011 4:27 PM
View users profile

My Better Homes & Garden cook book has a Red Waldorf Cake in it, aka Red Velvet. It uses the creamy frosting that is milk/flour/granulated sugar and vanilla. I have got to make me one of these cakes, whether I use the DH mix (which I bought the other day) or from scratch. Hmmmm.

Report Violation

Bottom

furball
Posted: Monday November 07, 2011 8:22 PM
View users profile

I actually have the recipe right straight from the Waldorf. Someone I know paid 300.00 for them to mail it to them. He then gave it to me. I haven't made that recipe yet, but I just made the doctored one & it was pretty good.

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Tuesday November 08, 2011 9:28 AM
View users profile

Furball, it would be interesting to compare your recipe to the one I have. I'll post mine if you'll post yours!

Report Violation

Bottom

sunshinehobbyist
Posted: Wednesday November 09, 2011 11:14 AM
View users profile

So I made this and with one box I only filled one square 8in pan.

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Wednesday November 09, 2011 6:09 PM

sunshinehobbyist--One box of doctored DH mix will generally produce about 5 cups of batter. When I made my 3-D skull cake, I measured the red velvet recipe to see how much and got these results:

2 doctored Red Velvet recipes make a total of 12-1/2 cups of batter. (I make cupcakes with the leftover batter.)

So, you should have had 6 to 6-1/4 cups of batter with one batch of the recipe listed above.

Just a note to those of you who should EVER wish to measure red velvet batter......don't. Man, I had RV everywhere! I made a double batch in my KA, then poured into measuring cups to measure total # of cups. Then I poured it into each half of my 3-D skull pan, and measured how much in each half, then added them to get the cups for the whole skull, then, measured the amount left over.

If the police had happened to drop by, they would have thrown me in jail after seeing my face, hair, arms, apron, sink, pencil, paper, counter, floor. [It was actually VERY Halloween-ish]

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Wednesday November 09, 2011 6:10 PM

p.s. The box of Jello Instant White Chocolate pudding is 3.3 oz.

Report Violation

Bottom

sunshinehobbyist
Posted: Wednesday November 09, 2011 9:43 PM
View users profile

Lol, it all came out all right. I had two boxes of RV cake mix, along with two boxes of white chocolate pudding. I bought it a long time ago to use in...well I'm not sure but I am glad that I was able to finally use it and free up some space in my cupboard!

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 3 4 5 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: